My Poor Buggas!

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

My Poor Buggas!

Post by Lauren »

The last 2 days here in Melbourne has been 37 degrees (celsias), I have a sore throat (due to the bushfire smoke covering our city) and the aches and pains. We dont have air conditioning! I noticed Gilbert and Yoda were panting like a dog and are not very active today. So I've been keeping them cool by spraying them with water all day while feeling under the weather myself. Poor buggas! :cry: How much heat can they take? I feel sorry for them today. They wont drink their water! :( :( :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

damm make that 40 degrees today!
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

oh my goodness! *hug* i hope it cools down for ya.
~the stubborn one~
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

Wow 40 deg, Today in good old Blighty it was 3.5 Frost first thing this morning.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Finally some relief.. only 22 today and windy! Hopefully the wind pushes the smoke away from Melbourne its been so hazy. Actually got to 42 yesterday. ouch! Gilbert and Yoda are up and about today after sleeping all weekend! Poor babies! I spent the weekend sick but making sure the birds are kept cool. Ive never seen them panting like dogs. Scared me!
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Hi Psit Chick,

One thing we do with our birds if we know it's going to be a scorcher we freeze bottles of water the night before. When it starts to heat up put the bottles in the bottom of their cages and they'll go hang out near it and lick it when they get warm. You can also make orange or mango puree and freeze that then put that frozen into their treats dish and that's like a giant iceypole for them.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx for the tip Matt! Ill give it a go. Giant icypoles! YUM.. They didnt seem to be drinking water or eating yesterday. Spent all day sleeping up the top of the blinds. :shock:
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I would have been more afraid of the smoke killing them. I never thought of that, how would you protect them from the smoke?
We're approacing our dry season here in SW Florida and it's already a very dry year and they are predicting lots of fires.

Hmm, any good ideas anyone what to do for smoke,
I also thank you Matt for the tips for heat, I'll keep that on the
back of my mind if I run into trouble here.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I was worried about the smoke too. But there wasnt much I could do. I had the fan in the room on all day and tried offering them water all day. The fires were 300kms away but the city was so smoggy.
I guess all you can do is shut all doors and windows (keep bad air out), air conditioning or fans running, mist them and keep offering them water.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I can run my heater blower through the filter even without AC. Have pretty good hypoallergenic filters, but figure could put damp cloth on the intakes too. Wasn't so worried with the Sheckel fire this week, but did fuss with the Day fire and last year's fires as well. Not sure if it would work, just my plan (kinda like the ...how would I fit all the cats and birds and their food in my car for a fire 2 AM planning....)
MCS