Sunni Dai went for an afternoon flight.....

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

SunniDai

Sunni Dai went for an afternoon flight.....

Post by SunniDai »

She slipped out of the aviary door. I'm usually more careful!! What was I thinking?? She flew low to the ground, across the road, over the neighbor's yard, and up into a tall tree. I didn't even think. I ran as fast as I could after her, barefoot and scared. I kept my eyes on her as I ran, not even looking for traffic. Thank heavens it's not a busy road! I saw her land HIGH in a tall tree, then fall about ten feet. I lost sight of her as I approached the tree. The tree is in a small stand of trees, and they sit in ankle deep muck. I slogged through the muck, calling gently for her and searching the tree tops. I was thinking, "It's a green tree and she's blazing yellow!! What's the problem here?? Why can't I see her??" I'm searching searching for her and my husband comes running outside yelling "Where are you?" I yell "over here" and he joins me in the search, slogging through the muck with me. Gently calling, trudging through blackberry bushes, searching searching. Finally I catch sight of her. High in a tree. About 25 feet up. He starts to climb the tree and it's too steep with no low branches. So he starts to help me climb. About ten feet up we both realize some very fundamental issues: 1. I am a 47 year old woman whose tree climbing days are about 30 years in my past; 2. I'm wearing shorts and a tank top and am barefoot; and 3. I apparently have absolutely NO upper body strength. He runs back across the road to grab a ladder, and I cling to the tree, talking to her calmly and quietly sobbing. While she sits calmly fifteen feet above my head, nibbling on a tree and looking at me. The ladder gets back, I skim out of the tree (which actually translates to "I tore myself to shreds all but falling out of the tree"), and I go up the ladder. I reach up and say "Up" and she calmly steps up. Put my thumb over her toes as I reach behind her and grab her firmly and wrap her in a towel that was in my pocket.
Took stock when I got home. Tree rash on top of one foot, both thighs, stomach and chest and inner elbow. Gash in bottom of other foot from stepping on god knows what slogging through the muck. Time for a tetanus shot and a much needed cuddle with the escape artist. As she coos happily in my hair. *_*
Also time for a flight harness.
~Dana

MissK

Re: Sunni Dai went for an afternoon flight.....

Post by MissK »

Dana, you GO, Girl!
Good work gettin' the job done!
-MissK