Music?

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

JoeysMom

Music?

Post by JoeysMom »

Hello all,

Last night I was playing some records as I was doing my nightly bird clean up. I was singing along with the music when Joey decided to join in, in her lovely Ringneck voice :lol: . It was adorable! I started to play different songs, and noticed that she seems to have a preference, she likes classic rock, and really loves bluegrass. :D

Do your birdies like music? If so what do they prefer?
-Joey's Mom
pattiB

Re: Music?

Post by pattiB »

I'm experimenting with music with Gracie right now. Each day I play something different to see if it peaks her interest. What I will say is that when I took out my Kalimba yesterday, and started playing on it, she stretched her neck and tilted her head! She was absolutely interested in the sounds it made. I was actually getting a bunch of student kalimbas tuned up for a class at a school. So, I guess she likes kalimba music! But I'm still playing other genres to see what gets her movin'! :D
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky likes bluegrass too.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't have a say in music....Mack chooses...if he doesn't like it he does his interpretation of a screeching chicken. So we are permanently stuck with jazz. Not really a hardship :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Both birdie seem to like piano music. Piano concertos and such. I KNOW that Camo does not like David Bowie. One day early on I had had a bad day and just really wanted to sing at the top of my lungs in the bathtub to David Bowie... Camo was not having it. Maybe it was just my singing.

Also Camo likes the sounds of racecars when my boyfriend plays his Forza Motorsport game. He also likes the clapping on the Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune. He also likes the laughing people on Americas Funniest Home Videos.

Fats likes the music to Candy Crush Saga.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think most of my birds like the background music to minecraft. They weren't too thrilled when the mash effect changed the music lol.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

@ ranechild that's so funny! Nila is fairly oblivious to loud cars, including race cars at the track, yet screams and panics if he hears a diesel 4wd being flogged.

Nila likes anything with violins, accordions, electric guitar or a good brass section. I don't play guns and Roses when he's home because his guitar solos are deafening and painful!
He likes some electronic music, especially breaks.
He has some music he likes to practise talking to and some he likes to "sing" to. He also "sings" when Dave plays guitar.

His all time favourite song is still http://www.last.fm/music/The+Mamaku+Pro ... que+Part+2 he sings it in his own language and timing.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

@ranechild: That is funny that you mention the sound of cars. My computer is right in front of Joey's cage and if I decide to play a racing game, she immediately perks up and starts screeching along with the cars. She gets so excited, it is so cute. I figured out that Joey likes bluegrass while we were watching Oh brother, where art thou? she "sang" during most of the movie. She had never done this before, so I got out some bluegrass records and she continued her singing. I think she likes the banjo. Sammy the quaker, is a fan of hard rock and hip hop/rap. When Sammy sings, he sounds like a dying donkey (not that I know what that sounds like, but I think Sam does :lol: ) The budgies like anything with noises that sound similar to birds chirping. They all like different styles of music, interesting... :D
-Joey's Mom
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay loves " Hooked on Classics"
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane loves anything involving classical instruments. He doesn't love anything harsh- but is that because I never played anything harsh when he was growing up? Dunno. My husband drowns him out with rock and light metal if I'm not home. DH swears Hane likes to scream at him when I'm away... :?

Hane does definitely prefer hearing the recorded music instead of my voice. :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

I recently played a cello solo for the birds. Joey seemed to like it, Sam on the other hand was bored. I also play Pink Floyd for the birds pretty regularly (I am a huge fan!) Anyway, all of the birds seem to agree on their music. I played, Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict. The birds loved the noises, it got everyone's attention. Joey was looking around like "Mom? Where is this coming from?" :lol:
-Joey's Mom
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Mine gets excited when I sing. Also, during the day I leave the tv on children's programming. One day I came home and didn't bother changing the channel for a while. Eventually one of those cartoons started singing with a soft clear voice and the bird went over to the tv and was completely captured by it. Then a few minutes later they sang the song again and back to the tv he went to listen.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

We just discovered that Ellieelectrons birds are closet rev heads too! We put their cage near the tv so they could hang out with us to watch the big car race and they were so fascinated by it. They even had a few disgreements over who got the perch closest to the tv and Charlie had to watch from the top of the paddlewheel for quite a while. Janey slept through the middle of the race and woke up for the last 5 laps, more or less what I do.
Then they are watched the formula 1, they seemed even more interested in it than they were about v8 super cars.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I wonder if they like Ferraris as much as i do?
BTW, I don't know the release schedule of the movie, but when you get the chance to see "Rush" about two formula 1 race cars drivers in the 70's (directed by Ron Howard) you MUST see it. So good! and I think the birds will love it too!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Saw it last night, it was great!
If Ellie ever asks us to bird sit again we will pull out the play station and see if they feel the same way about racing games. I bet they like Ferraris too.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

lol. I'll have to borrow a car racing DVD from Claire and see this for myself!

Ellie.
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

It was so funny Ellie, Charlie was FASCINATED!

ps Claire took a video of it
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

So funny. Our birdies all seem to like car noises. I know when I play racing games Joey will mumble excitedly, but when I crash, it becomes a scream :lol:. Sammy would always sit and watch the Nascar races with me. They seem to like something about the loudness and the pitch. It's funny because a car could be revving its engine in the back yard and the birds would be like "Yay! Woo!" but a lawn mower in the back yard creates unimaginable fear.
-Joey's Mom
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol! We should start a rev-head ringneck club.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Not music related at all, but it relates to our rev-head ringnecks. How do they like riding in the car? Sam loves it, Joey is starting to enjoy it. She stares at the window and squawks. :lol:
-Joey's Mom
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila acts about the same as he does in the house, minus the flying around. He looks out the window for a bit, plays with some toys, eats, talks and sleeps.
I'm curious as to how he'd react if we took him out in Daves stupidly fast car, but we aren't brave enough to try. He'd probably fall straight off his perch when Dave gets into it a little!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Cyrano was giving me the sad boy look yesterday when I had to leave to get the kids from school so I brought him along. I wound up tied in his harness lead while he rode high mast on the steering wheel. He won't stay on his seat perch anymore. It's not high enough. I have to invent something new. Any ideas???

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Dave and I have joked about making a Tperch and concreting it into a cup that fits into the cup holder. But Nila prefers a shoulder.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Normally the birds are in travel cages in the backseat when we take trips. One time I took Sammy to pick my bf up from work. On the ride home I let him sit on my shoulder. I think I was deaf by the time I got home, he was screaming "weeeee!" with joy the whole way. :lol:
-Joey's Mom
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hahaha sorry for laughing, but that's cute!
Nila prefers to sit on the driver for some reason, we only let him out of the travel cage if we are both in the car so the passenger can supervise him.
Dave had to take evasive action to prevent his car from hitting a kangaroo the other night, Nila was in the travel cage and had a bit of a bump. It doesn't seem to have diminished his enthusiasm for the car or the travel cage though.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Somehow it doesn't seem strange to hear you say you had to avoid hitting a kangaroo. I thought it would...but nope :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:Somehow it doesn't seem strange to hear you say you had to avoid hitting a kangaroo. I thought it would...but nope :mrgreen:
It's super common here! Especially in the more remote areas (ie: most of Australia)