soccer training / fetch training

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

soccer training / fetch training

Post by ellieelectrons »

I bought a desktop soccer set a while ago with the idea that I'd train my guys to score soccer goals. Hubby is soccer mad so I thought this could be a cute thing to do. I didn't think it would be that hard because they already retreive things and put them in a cup and can but a ball in a basketball hoop. It has, however, proven more difficult then I thought. Instead of putting it in the net, they insist on putting it over the top of the goal post (similar to basketball). So, I have to teach them that the soccer goal is different to the basketball hoop and putting things in a cup. After trying and trying and trying, I decided to start training them to put the ball on a folded up tissue that I placed on a table. The idea being that once they could do that, I'd move the soccer goal closer and closer to the tissue until it's sitting over the top of it and the birds would put the ball in the goal instead of over the top, and then I could remove the tissue. Well, I thought they had the tissue thing, but just as I thought they were doing it reliably, they'd stop. They'd try to give the ball to me, drop it off the edge of the table or do something else with it. It was really funny... Then at some point it turned into a game of fetch. I'd roll the ball across the table, the two of them would run to pick it up and then bring it back to me and put it in my hand. That was really cute... however, I think they don't really enjoy running when they can fly... so after we did that a few times each, they decided they didn't want to do that anymore and just sat there and stared at me.... but it really was fun while it lasted. I think they may be too smart to enjoy fetch?

Ellie.
InTheAir

Re: soccer training / fetch training

Post by InTheAir »

That's so funny!
Nele does the same with fetch, the first couple goes he's scrabbling across the table after the ball, then it turns into a slow walk. He likes fetch to be played by the humans, with him directing and squawking encouragement.

Have you tried a solid ball for soccer, so they have to push it instead of picking it up? It may not help, but it would be amusing to watch them trying to pick it up...
ellieelectrons

Re: soccer training / fetch training

Post by ellieelectrons »

My guys like the humans to do the fetching too!

Maybe I should try the balls that came with the soccer set, although I didn't want to use them as I was worried about what material they were made out of.

Ellie.