Maybe my Charlie is smart after all

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

Maybe my Charlie is smart after all

Post by ellieelectrons »

I usually think of my Charlie my lutino IRN as being not quite as smart as Janey my blue IRN. He is a year younger than Janey and he's lived with us for a shorter amount of time. I love him to pieces and he is a very sweet bird - loves hanging out... his only vice is a bit of ear nibbling.

I've been trying to teach them to fly to me on command. I walked several metres away - further than what I normally do - and called them. Janey came straight away. Charlie thought about it but for whatever reason seemed a bit scared to fly that far. So next thing, he's on his cage and climbing down the outside. At first I thought he was going to the floor to walk to me... Next thing I hear him crunching on the shell of a peanut. That didn't worry me, I thought he must have found one on the floor. As I approach, I see Charlie sitting at the mother lode - my plastic container full of training treats... pigging out to his heart's content!

so I guess he might be the smarter one after all! :)

Ellie.
Xandra

Re: Maybe my Charlie is smart after all

Post by Xandra »

Haha, cheeky Charlie :wink:
claire31

Post by claire31 »

definitely the smart one but then im biased as Ollie is a lutino. She's now nearly 9 months old and we've been trying to get her to talk by constantly using the same phrases over and over to her when shes in a chatty mood and shes been trying to imitate now for a couple of months last night break through she said "thank you" WOW so excited she knew by our reaction we were happy so spent the next hour practising it. managed to record it and sent it to my daughters. Now for a new day lets see if she says it again. Mind you am beginning to think she might be a he Ollie does this beautiful display dance standing very upright with wings in heart shape and struts around and stamps a foot not sure if my feet appreciate the display tho but the toes wriggling will send him off for a repeat show. so cute.
jess8789

Post by jess8789 »

That's so funny and cute! :lol:
Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings a tune without the words, and never stops at all.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Our Charlie is a much better talker than our Janey. I presumed it was because he is male.

Ellie.