janey and the ice block

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

janey and the ice block

Post by ellieelectrons »

I thought some of you might be able to relate to this one!

It was a hot, Summer's day and I was eating a Frosty Fruit ice block with my blue IRN, Janey, sitting on my shoulder. She was going crazy, wanting a taste of the ice block. I didn't want to give her any because I didn't think it was very healthy for a bird to eat an iceblock.. Besides, I always gave her the stick when I was finished so she'd get a taste of it on the stick anyway. Tired of constantly having to move it so that it was out of her reach, silly me thought if I give her a taste of it she wouldn't want any more because she wouldn't like the cold sensation... So I held the side of the iceblock that I hadn't started eating yet towards her beak to give her a taste. I was expecting her to have a little nibble and then decide she didn't like it and leave it alone... but this isn't what she did at all.... she proceeded to lick the ice block from one end to the other.... kinda like you see teenagers do on tv when they are supposed to be sharing some food like a chocolate bar and want to stop the other person from wanting their share.

... and the question is... would you continue to the iceblock, throw it away or give the rest to the bird!

Ellie.
Kray Twins

Re: janey and the ice block

Post by Kray Twins »

I'd continue eating it! :D

Mind you, there's a stash of frozen fruit in the freezer for this very situation. When it's hot I chuck some in their water bowl so they can bob for individual fruits...
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, I continued eating it... I wasn't sure how hygienic it was... but it was a hot day! ... and birds don't have saliva!

Ellie.
Janet

Post by Janet »

My birds kiss me. I don't think an ice block lick is very different. I also share my toast with my guys. I like the idea of freezing some fruit. I think I will try that. My dogs also love ice on hot days.