can you help my owners

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

pamhowie

can you help my owners

Post by pamhowie »

Hi i have just taken ownership of a IRN which we were told that it was hand reared. How stupid we were, it is around 5 months old now we have only had it for a month, it has came a long way from not getting near the cage to having a large parrot cage for him, as he only came in a budgies cage my husabnd and i have let him out every day since he came and he loves to fly around the room he is on a diet of parrot mix and fruit and nuts, he is now coming to sit and take a piece of apple close to where i am sitting, we are concerned that since he has came we have not heard a peep out of him.i was wondering if any body could give me some guidance on is this natural not hearing any thing from the bird we talk to him all the time, although he wont come to us yet we are being patient thinking that it will come to us in time and are we doing the right things with it . please help
lenny_hayes

Re: can you help my owners

Post by lenny_hayes »

pamhowie wrote:Hi i have just taken ownership of a IRN which we were told that it was hand reared. How stupid we were, it is around 5 months old now we have only had it for a month, it has came a long way from not getting near the cage to having a large parrot cage for him, as he only came in a budgies cage my husabnd and i have let him out every day since he came and he loves to fly around the room he is on a diet of parrot mix and fruit and nuts, he is now coming to sit and take a piece of apple close to where i am sitting, we are concerned that since he has came we have not heard a peep out of him.i was wondering if any body could give me some guidance on is this natural not hearing any thing from the bird we talk to him all the time, although he wont come to us yet we are being patient thinking that it will come to us in time and are we doing the right things with it . please help
Indian Ringnecks take a while to settle in, and you will need patience with him.
Take him out for an hour or more per day, and pat him and feed him his favourite treats.
My IRN started talking at around 7-8 months. Try whistling a very short tunes. We 'wolf whistled' at him over and over.
When you go into the room, do the whistle, and when you leave the room, do the whistle. Or if you want him to talk, when you enter the room, say it really happily and cheery to him, and do the same when you leave the room. You will find that he will be a bit shy and won't really talk infront of you for a while, Mine talked when he was alone. But now when you pat him he is chirping and happy as larry!
Good luck,
Emily.
My 4 pets I love more than anything:
Pixie my dog, Garfield my cat, Lenny my parrot, Abbey my Kitten.