Desperately Needing Advice!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Billiejo

Desperately Needing Advice!

Post by Billiejo »

Hello all, I am new to this site and also a new Indian Ring Neck owner. I recently took in a 10 year old irn that has been severly neglected. I have had her (and also a 12 year old love bird that I took in as well from the same home) for a week. They seem to be warming up to me slightly, especially when I sing to them, but I am worried about a couple of things. First, with her being 10 years old and not tamed, is their any hope of me ever taming her? Second, if she will not be tamed, how should I interact with her? I surely do not want to stress her out but I also don't want her to feel depressed or neglected. Any help is welcome! Thank you
sanjays mummi

Re: Desperately Needing Advice!

Post by sanjays mummi »

Ten years is still relatively young for a ringneck, their lifespan is 20 to 30 years, personally I would treat her as semi feral, (my bird is semi feral, aviary hatched and parent reared), so don't expect her to enjoy shoulder rides, or to trust hands, however, given time and patience, and lots of tlc, there is no reason why she shouldn't learn to trust you, enjoy a scritch or tickle, accept food from your fingers, if you sit by her cage to eat your meals, she will be curious and come to inspect your plate, you can then offer a morsel, I started with offering walnut pieces through the bars. Just be calm, and slow in your approach, and don't try and rush things, she will bond with you once she feels she can trust you.