Newbie parrot owner

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Claire.t.lewis

Newbie parrot owner

Post by Claire.t.lewis »

Hi, about 4 months ago I purchased with my husband, an 7/8 month old Ringneck named Rico and He was hand reared.
I just need a few tips on how to gain his trust. I believe he scared of me, when he steps up he makes a low panting like noise for a few seconds.
I read that they love water so I started to give him showers, which he loves. Whilst in the shower he lets me stroke him and is perfectly at ease with this, outside I can't touch him as he squawks at me. He does this when I try to give him treats such as Apple or pear. Rarely can I get him to eat it from my hand without squawking but he has done.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Claire
Wessel Gordon

Re: Newbie parrot owner

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Claire,

I've had IRN's for more than 10 years and had several come and go over the years due to various reasons. Some I could stroke where-ever I wanted (NB: this particular bird I hand-reared myself so we had a close bond), others would allow me to touch a feather for a second if I got lucky, 1 or two I own I literally never laid a finger on except for relocating etc. The bird I had the longest hates being touched and she will physically charge at you when you do the food and water-routine...no points for guessing that I'm far more concerned to get a nasty bite from her than petting her.

My point with all this is simply: birds are like people; some are cuddle-bunnies while others prefer no physical interaction. I do not want to over-generalize but IRN's in general prefer petting and interaction on their terms.

Your best strategy if he/she refuses to take something from your hand is to drop a few treats in an empty cup and walk away. Sooner or later he/she would figure out you're the source of the yummy stuff and might be willing to ''renegotiate'' petting-priviledges. Be warned: this approach takes time and consistency and above all: patience.

The advantage you have is that it's still a young bird so should in theory be easier to encourage behavior you want.