Looking for advice on my first IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ebesq

Looking for advice on my first IRN

Post by ebesq »

Hi everyone!

I registered here because I'm looking into getting an IRN, but I'm trying to decide between getting a 2.5 year old, or waiting until the spring for a baby.

They would both be from the same aviary - one in the Toronto area that ships to where I live (east coast of Canada). They tell me that the 2 year old is friendly and tame. My only concern is that I know IRNs are fairly independent birds, and I'm worried that I'll have a hard time getting a mature one to bond with me in any way.

Does anyone have any experience with bringing an adult bird into their home? Is it a considerably different experience than having a just-weaned baby? Would you recommend one or the other?

To give a little background info: This would be my first parrot, though I've had budgies for several years. I work full time and live alone, but am home on the evenings and all weekend. I do have some experience with parrots, because I worked at a pet store up until pretty recently, and I did some basic training with our conures and quakers (things like step up, and target practice).

Thanks in advance for any advice given!