Hi - newbie here - intro to myself & my 3 ringnecks

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

birds4ever

Hi - newbie here - intro to myself & my 3 ringnecks

Post by birds4ever »

Hi all, I love this forum. My name is Linda and I fell in love with Indian Ringnecks last December.

My first ringneck was a 'rescue'. Was told it was a female and that she kept wanting back in the nest. Well her mama was starting a new clutch and kept kicking her out and she ended up crippled. She gets around ok when walking on the floor, but really has a better time with the cage bars and limbs. First there is Indee, a green IRN. I got her when she was 9 months old and now she's 18 months old. Anyway, she's incredibly sweet and has picked up words, 'peek a boo', wolf whistle with a 'pretty bird' after that, 'hi', and others. She found her way into my heart and is very cuddly.

Next there is Luka, a blue IRN that I got when he was 6 months old and he, also is now 18 months old. They both get along pretty well for the most part. He loves his beak rubbed and has picked up the words that Indee says.

Then I met this 10 year old little girl that had a 3 year old male Lutino IRN. She had him for about 2 years and just did not have the time for him anymore - she was more into her friends. She wanted to find a good home for him and when I met him - he came right up on my finger. After talking to him awhile, he started to give 'rubbing kisses' with his beak on my hand. She called him 'Squeekers', but I had to change that to Kaleno, which means bright one. Well - move over - another sweetheart to add to my flock. I've had him for 6 months now and he's still such a sweetheart.

He's bright yellow, with an orange ring around his neck. His eyes are are very different than Indee's or Luka's - I will try to post pics - they are VERY large, dark-not red, but the eye itself is like a globe and is 'reflective', if that makes sense to anyone here. I'm really wondering if he is blind or has some sight problems. If I approach him and am quiet - he kinda freaks, until he hears my voice. So - anyone here every heard of a Lutino with eyes like that? :?:
Here are a couple of pics of his eyes:

Thanks to all who may have a clue about his eyes - and hope to meet some people on here.

:wink:
Razsringnecks

Re: Hi - newbie here - intro to myself & my 3 ringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Welcome!
oh my! eyes...... :shock:

He is very cute....adorable! :P
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

i can't tell from your pics, could you post your other IRNs eyes so we can compare?
i have a blind dog whose pupils are very large making his eyes look completely black. he pupils are dilated as large as they can be but he cannot see since his retinas are very deteriorated.
does your bird pin his eyes when he is excited?
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

I'm no expert in ringnecks, but as far as eyes go that looks like it may be a malformation of the cornea and sadly, they don't make birdie glasses :|
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome to the forum.

What a great job you are doing, giving rescue birds a home. :D

Kaleno is a beautiful little man. Not sure what is going on with the eyes though.
birds4ever

Post by birds4ever »

thanks all - Jessica - I think you are right. At first they were so beautiful - they looked like globes and they were reflective, but as time goes by it seems he may not be totally blind - but maybe sees shadows - he reminded me of that horse in Dr. Doolittle with Eddie Murphy - and Eddie's character fit him with a pair of glasses.

I just approach him always talking to him and he's fine. He's another one of my little 'special' babies.

:D :roll:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Awww fantastic ! beautiful flock .. I love the Latino's .. I have never really thought to look that closely at my Jordans eyes but I will, its very interesting. Kudos to you for taking in rescues, I have taken in tiels, lovies and tomorrow I take in a blue princess parrot, a girfriend found in trouble.

xoxo
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless