AGGRESSIVE RINGNECK PARROT

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

tellephillips

AGGRESSIVE RINGNECK PARROT

Post by tellephillips »

hello, i'm new to this site, but anyway here i go..
i've owned my ringneck (charlie) for about 4 months, and he should be 8 months by now according to the man who sold me him (i dont know if charlies male or female)
anyway, charlie has always been sort of afraid of me, however he did step up onto my arm whenever i placed it under his belly. he hardly had any problems. the other day i went to put my hand in his cage and he violently went for my hand and missed because i pulled my hand out.
today i woke up to have a chat to him, and he went nuts. i approached his cage and he started attacking at everything he could bite into, he was randomly biting anything he could see. whilst he was doing this i received a few hisses too. i then said 'Charlie No!' and he started screaming at me until i walked away. i have never been bitten by charlie before, but i have gotten a bite from my gallah. now this made me cry. i am terrified of a ringnecks sharp beak biting through my skin. he's just crazy, and i don't know how to deal with this when i cant even go near his cage without him attacking everything.

please help me, i found myself bawling my eyes out because of this today :(
i love my bird.
smallworld

Re: AGGRESSIVE RINGNECK PARROT

Post by smallworld »

Hi and welcome.

Is there anything in his environment that could've changed? Maybe there's someone new or his diet changed or for some reason you spend less time with him or let him out of his cage alot less?

He could be doing this as a show of jealousy too or he could just be ticked that something has changed. Of course, he also could be going through the maturity phase or the biting stage and most ringnecks go through that but he seems a little too aggressive. Biting stuff, scratching and chewing on the feet are supposed to be displays of aggression.

You could try to approach him slower, while talking to him in low voices. Do you think he'd attack, if you offered him his favorite food through the bars? Most of the time food works.

Try searching around this forum, you might find a similar complain and different methods of approach.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi there

I would read through the following article and see if you think that makes sense.

http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

I think bluffing can vary between birds and while some may get a mild case, some can get it pretty bad. I would suggest to just follow what the article says to do. You also say that your terrified and birds can pick up on this. Yes the bites can hurt, but it would only be for a couple of seconds, then the pain goes away.

Regards

Shane
tellephillips

Post by tellephillips »

smallworld wrote:Hi and welcome.

Is there anything in his environment that could've changed? Maybe there's someone new or his diet changed or for some reason you spend less time with him or let him out of his cage alot less?

He could be doing this as a show of jealousy too or he could just be ticked that something has changed. Of course, he also could be going through the maturity phase or the biting stage and most ringnecks go through that but he seems a little too aggressive. Biting stuff, scratching and chewing on the feet are supposed to be displays of aggression.

You could try to approach him slower, while talking to him in low voices. Do you think he'd attack, if you offered him his favorite food through the bars? Most of the time food works.

Try searching around this forum, you might find a similar complain and different methods of approach.
thank you. umm.. no nothings changed i don't think. he doesn't scratch or chew his feet. just hiss and bite his toy with aggression and try and get at me. i tried the talking softly and nothing works, he just does the same thing. and when he's not biting at me, he stares at me. charlie will never eat food from my hand no matter what it is. he'll put it in his mouth and drop it. he loves corn, but if it's not left in his cage for him to eat it alone he wont touch it. sometimes even when i put seed in his cage and watch him he wont eat it until i face the other way. also..
heres another question. charlie eats a lot! i will fill his seed bane one day, and then the next morning i'll refill it and he eats as if he hasn't eaten in days! i know it's most likely the whole bluffing thing, but i've been bitten by gallah and that was the most painful thing ever, i still have the scar.
my step father suggested we re clip his wings and leave him on a perch while being watched for a few days. i go to school everyday so i haven't interacted with him this week. however my nan talks to him all the time. i let him out of the cage last week and he was fine. i haven't recently because he's been like this. he should be happy. he has 2 budgies and 2 gallahs next to him in a separate cage so it's not like he's alone.
he's never really liked coming out of his cage, it's hard to get him to come out. it's like once i've been holding him he couldn't be more eager to go back to his cage and escape his owner. i want his normal self back, but i am just terrified of being bitten.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi, I do sympathize with you but a bird needs a constant environment. Did you read the link Shane recommended? Well scars happen, I have countless amounts of them, due to bites or test bites, whenever we get a new bird. The thing is, they heal and they go away. From my IRN and what I read about someone elses, they have a more chewing motion rather than a simple bite. The effect isnt much but the pain can be intense.

If you're still at the stage where he has to turn away before he eats, I would say he is still shy and there is alot to be worked on in the relationship. You see there are so many different people trying to tame the bird at once. Bad. Doesnt work with alot of birds. Either you or your grandma should do it. If you're going to do it, please do it everyday at a specific time. Say an hour after lunch or so. You see, he may have liked you very much and became very close to you. Then you left him alone for a whole week and he's like 'hey, where's my best friend?'. He waits and waits for you to come home and he hears you coming home but you dont spend time with him. The result is, he is pissed and he has no other way to show it, hence the aggression. Since he is new to the family and your grandma has a load of time perhaps she should take over the training.

Constant attention & affection and trust me it will be returned. Another thing is birds pick up very fast and easily on your emotions. So be stable. Dont get frightened easily or start to cry. Dont scream at him either. Try to keep in mind, though his bite may hurt, he isn't a tiger :wink:

My opinion would be not to clip his wing until his character is stable again. Reason for that is, he already hates that you spend less time with him and if he sees he cant fly, he is going to hate it even more. You dont want to end up with a feather plucker.

Its hard to get him to come out because he is unsure of his environment. He hasnt been out much and birds are curious little things that like to explore. That cage is safe haven for him and its his territory as well. So what you can do is, lock all doors and close all windows and try to let him out of his cage. He will go back home for food.

Seeds are a bad diet for a bird. Its like a Big whopper for breakfast, lunch and dinner. IRNs need alot of fresh food and veges. They like green veges. Strawberries, Kiwis, peas, green beans, apples, a few pieces of oranges, some nuts, carrots etc. Look up a list of stuff they cant eat though. Because thats just as long :lol:

About the not taking food from you, try to entice him into doing it by offering seeds or corn on your hand. Take a chair, sit down, hold out your hand with the food on it in his cage. Then slowly and it may take days or weeks, he will trust you enough to take the food from you.

Good luck 8)
julie

Post by julie »

My really tame boy indie does this sometimes. If we walk past his cage he lunges to the point where he hits the bars on the cage, most times I go close and say oh you think your tough dont you and give him a bit of a stir and he makes this funny little growling noise at me. I stir him a bit because I dont want him to think he can do it and have me scared of him otherwise he would probably do it more often. sometimes they get a bit cage possesive and cant be handled much in the cage too.
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

Hi there!
Your Ringneck is more determined to be a female, as
female go through a stage called "Bluffing".
I can explain it as a stage a Ringneck goes through (mainly female).
They attack, and get quiet agressive. Its sort of like, they want
to see if you can handle them to be there owner. They're bluffing, they don't
mean to hurt you. It's just a stage they go through. I think the breeder is right,
if he/she is around 4 months old, it is proably the bluffing.
Heres info on it I found on this site

http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

Regards

Mike

Milo...Boy...Buddy
wannabeseaturtle

Post by wannabeseaturtle »

It took about 6 months for my ringneck to warm up to me. When we first got her she would always bite. I was afraid of her and she could tell. I had to go right up to her with no fear and pick her up. It wasn't easy but it was worth it. I talk to her before I pick her up. She sometimes still bites at me but it's usually because something has startled her. Good luck!..ps, my bird was 3 when I got her so she had to get used to me as a new owner also.