my new babies

Moderator: Mods

clear

my new babies

Post by clear »

well this is the first time for me i have 4 baby ringnecks nearlly 5 weeks old will be trying to wean them soon but the parents of these babies have just layed more eggs is this what happens and do they keep laying if you take the babies out early to hand rear
we try
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi clear,

First congrats on your irn bubs :)

More often than not, the parents will lay a second or even third clutch if the season and enviroment is right.

I personally wouldn't encourage too many clutches in one season as it wears out the hen especially and her body could lack in calcium and vitamin deficiency from all the egg laying.
That's when you could run into problems of eggbinding etc.

8)
clear

Post by clear »

Thanks for the tip to stop her from laying anymore eggs you dont take the babies away from the nest till when? That is if you do not take the babies away to stop them laying is this confusing it is to me sorry
we try
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, if you pull your bubs at 4 weeks, its very rare for your parents to go down again.

If you really want to discourage mating and you are pulling them earlier, stop the fruit and veg supply for 2-3 weeks after taking them away. Just feed seed / pellets and put vitamins in the water (so they are not missing out on anything). This will make the bird think "well... no really great ample supply of nice food, i wont try for another clutch since its not a great time now".
clear

Post by clear »

thanks for the tip ill do that wait till they are month old before takeing them
we try