question for breeders about buyers

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

question for breeders about buyers

Post by Donovan »

Is it common for potential buyers to come check out the babies, possibly more than once, before they're weaned?

I am looking to buy a young male soon and am considering going to the breeder two or three times before the babies are weaned. In my mind it will help me decide which to buy when they're ready.

Is this something people do?
AJPeter

Re: question for breeders about buyers

Post by AJPeter »

Cannot help you with breeders but when l worked in a pet shop all the people bought on the spot l cannot remember people coming back to view the animals, one of the disadvantages of not buying on the spot would the next time you went one of your hopefuls would have been promised or sold to someone else.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have not done it but I believe it's common.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

AJPeter wrote: one of the disadvantages of not buying on the spot would the next time you went one of your hopefuls would have been promised or sold to someone else.
I will likely purchase the bird before choosing and possibly reserve the one I want later, I don't know yet really, also i'm kinda interested in confirming that they're actually getting human interaction
MissK

Post by MissK »

I do think people tend to pick a chick and then visit it.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Obviously my knowledge is about pet shops we did have breeders sell us their animals, often we took animal that did not sell for free from breeders.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

haha AJPeter what does that even mean?...

Do you mean to say you got the animals that weren't chosen early on?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Breeders would bring their animals and birds and ask us just to take them for free, yes, but it was not always wise move on our part because they were difficult to shift. We picked up 29 white mice for free and before l could look round they had increased in number eventually we had 129 l think, l tried to seperate them into fish tanks but they still managed to get out and breed.
It was a God send when the market changed and every school boy wanted a white mouse in his pocket, of course we were not allowed by law to sell animal to children under 14 and l would point that out to them by asking are you over 14 ? But most of the time their parents were there to pay the price 50p!
Most of the budgies we picked up for free but l cannot remember any larger birds coming for free. So many people want to breed birds that buyers have to be very careful about in breeding, budgies in particular any that we were offered if deformed l would say no even is they were free!
Once we were offered five guinea pigs and four rabbits for free they all went to good home even if l had to use high pressure selling to shift one old rabbit.