Registered Breeders

Moderator: Mods

JonoH

Registered Breeders

Post by JonoH »

Are you a registered breeder, and if yes who are you registered with and why?

Thinking about this at the moment but unsure of the advantages (i am in Australia btw)

Thanks
Skyes_crew

Re: Registered Breeders

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm in the US...we are registering currently. A nightmare of paperwork lol. Benefit...we are USDA approved and inspected yearly. When we sell a bird there is no question as to the health and welfare of the bird. There is no question as to our animal husbandry practices. Keeps us out of the backyard breeder group.

Downfall...the department of Ag can and will inspect whenever they wish. They can be sticklers for the littlest things. They are constantly changing regulations and it is up to us to stay on top of it. When you're registered you're name is out there. There is no hiding.

I prefer to be in the registered group here in Hawaii though. There is a lot of backyard breeding here with a lot of unwell birds being sold lately.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

JonoH

Post by JonoH »

Pretty sure that there is nothing like that over here. (i can see in some ways its good, but to have inspections at anytime could be a massive pain).

Just trying to see the benefit of being registered over here, it would be worth it if they had some sort of database of ringed birds but i can't see anything about that sort of thing.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I know what you're talking about. Registered breeders associations. I was in fact speaking to a friend from the forum about that just the other day. I don't know of any either and it is something I would love to see get underway for asiatic parrots. Like the National Indian Ringneck Parakeet Association. A listing of breeders, with registered mutations, and registered leg bands. Any ideas?

JonoH

Post by JonoH »

The only registered breeders organisations over here i can see are happy to take your money and send you some magazines but not sure of why it would be beneficial, i would def. be interested in something like what you mentioned there.

It would be heaps easier to track lost birds and mutations through a registry anyway.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

molossus wrote: In as much as we may decry the backyard breeder we need to encourage more people into our hobby to ensure it remains viable for future generations. Organisation of all parties will only augur well for the game. Breeder associations are the way to give muscle to our members , and who better than us to provide the key input criteria???

You wouldn't be saying that if you saw some of the conditions here. I went to pick up feed yesterday and a cockatiel breeder had just dropped off her latest weaned batch of chicks. Out of the 4 birds, one had a broken wing, and one had been mishandled in some way that it was bleeding from the underwing in the wrist area. The blood was enough that it was all over all four chicks. I had to bring the blood to the attention of the breeder and she just shrugged and left. On top of that she wanted $130 for each of the birds. Two were pied and two were pearl pied. I breed cockatiels. Those birds do not go for that much and the condition was horrible. They were nothing but a meal ticket for her. :(

Ok...off my soapbox now lol. In the grand scheme of things I completely agree with your assessment. A standard is what is needed.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sigh...I know. The question is how to keep my thoughts under lock and key :wink:

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

:lol: :lol: