Breeding ringnecks help please..

Moderator: Mods

omarion

Breeding ringnecks help please..

Post by omarion »

How do I kno when ringnecks don't want to breed I have a pair male a green split to blue and female a violet been together in same cage for about 2 months with nest box and wood carvings both breeding age but seems like there not into each other they just stand by each other that's it.. Should I get another male?
omarion

Re: Breeding ringnecks help please..

Post by omarion »

Help help help help :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

There are many factors in the cause of non breeding birds. How old are they, are they hand tamed, are they indoor pets or aviary birds? Hopefully someone with breeding experience on here can help you out.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Omarion,
Firstly, in what country do you live? This will determine your breeding season.
Secondly, colder climates normally have a later start than warmer ones.

I'm in Australia and our season normally gets underway as early as June and runs through until around November.
So what what you can expect is that mid to late winter the birds should start showing signs of breeding. The cock will start his courtship, then mating will begin, while all this is going on the hen will e preparing the nesting material in the box. This can all take up to a month. So by the end of winter to early spring the eggs should be hatching.
There is no hard and fast rules to follow, as its up to the hen to decide when she is ready to breed.

So therefore depending where you live it may be still early for some hens or the season has already passed.
Other things to look out for is that the aviary is not a draughty area, that the birds have been wormed and spray for lice and mites. Also excessive noise or other disruptions could be putting them off.
Cheers.