Looking for breeder: Perth, Western Australia

Moderator: Mods

Jonathan W

Looking for breeder: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Jonathan W »

Hey guys!
If you've seen my introduction, you know that I'm going to try and persuade my parents to let me handrear an IRN :) I want one between 10 and 20 days old :) and it'll have to be around about the 10th of December I think? I'm looking to spend no more than around 200 dollars, but that may change in the future ;) I've got absolutely no idea on mutations of IRN's (or any bird for that matter) but a cleartail violet cobalt would be nice :)

Other mutations that I'm interested in are:
Violet opaline
Blue opaline
Emerald cobalt
DF Violet

But I will be happy with any colour really :)

I also have no idea when IRN's breed... so if someone could try and set up a pair aiming for december chicks, then that'd be awesome :D

So if anyone breeds IRN's in Perth, let me know and tell me your mutations that you breed as well :D

Oh, and I would like to (if I do buy an IRN) have a look at handfeeding, just note that I'll probably be cup feeding, because we have heaps of styrofoam cups that we never use :lol:

Hope someone can help me :)
Thanks
ellieelectrons

Re: Looking for breeder: Perth, Western Australia

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Jonathan

Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to let you know that I believe in Australia it is illegal for breeders to sell baby birds before they are weaned. In other countries it is not. I got both my little guys after they were weaned. The second one had already fledged but the first had not. I actually think our second guy makes a better pet than our first because he got to stay with his brothers and sisters longer and knows he is a bird. Our first bird isn't too bad, but she can get overly fixated on us.

Good luck.

Ellie.
Jonathan W

Post by Jonathan W »

It's illegal? I never knew that? I'll research onto it, see if there's any exceptions :)
birdcrazy

Post by birdcrazy »

Hi if you look on this website daff.gov.au/animal-plant-health/welfare/nccaw/guidelines/pets/birds

“A juvenile bird that is not fully feathered or self-sufficient should not be traded except to a person who has skills and experience in raising such birds.”

With that in mind I have handraised many birds and my first experience was extre,e;y traumatic as my baby bird died. It is and can be a very tiring (4 ourly feeds) and expensive job. Very rewarding but most people dont realise even after the bird is able to feed itself you still need to put in a good 4hrs a day in bonding handling in the first year.

After we and raised about 6 birds my partner saw how much he loved my Alexandrian and his pride and joy Lorri passed away so we ot an already and raised Alexandrian for him, and after 2-4 months we went on holiday for a week and left him in good responsible hands (someone whom had previosuly bird sat many times and had taken on 2 rescue birds) and came back and he was ferral, as apparently too younge to have even only an hour contact most days.

So basically if you are not experienced please dont do it but even if you do get a hand raised baby make sure you have the time comitment and deciattion in first year to give it your all and you will get a beautiful bird/child which would be a life long friend.

You will see many adds on gumtree of people whom do not understand how long and how much effort it takes to get that talking friendly bird everyone sees in utube etc.

My alexandrine was a late talkin it took 10months and a lot of internet formums to learn to teach him. (we tout we raised a dud) He know teaches him self he is such a smarty pants. But very much a mummys boy as I put in all those hours and hours of one on one contact and talking and spoiling him.

Ring neck season is now in perth.

We have our first home bred babies 5 x BLUE Indian ringnecks four days old.
My partner may be hand raising them if so they will be ready in 12 weeks or so.

We did have two pastel lacewings and recently sold them. The breeder we got them from took 25years to get the genetic mutation right.

if you ever want to talk birds you can message me.
Sorry this was so long I just want you to be fully aware of what you are in for before you take the plunge
Jonathan W

Post by Jonathan W »

Thanks BirdCrazy, but I've already found a breeder, I had a new topic for that ;)
birdcrazy

Post by birdcrazy »

good luck and enjoy and keep in contact with your breeder they hopefully will be able to help you all the way thru :)