cheap but interesting toys

Moderator: Mods

bec

cheap but interesting toys

Post by bec »

being a single mum its very hard to find the money pet stores want you to pay for their toys but i also realise play is very important for irns so i improvise & i thought id show a couple of the things ive doneImage
this is just a toy storage hanger with a cat toy on each level the birds climb all over it & everytime they move the cat balls rattle round
this is just 3 toys i picked up at a $2 shop then pieced together tp form a swing

and this is just gum tree braches shoved through the old cage i had when we first got kieron

all together it seems to make a pretty interesting play gym for them but at a fraction of the cost
does any one else make toys for their fids
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Thats looks pretty cool, i just use cat toys and ropes with Amazon, nothing hangs from the roof though maybe i shoule try that he might like it, but because he doesnt fly i will have to put them close to his cage.
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

Post by bec »

thanks sharlene i try to keep a few things hanging from the roof because i have cats & living in healesville if i dont have them in the house at night its a huge fine!!!! i keep them in the back of the house when the fids are loose or we are unable to supervise cats &fids are seperated by 2 close doors but accidents happen so i decided not to clip the fids wings & when they are out they love flying round madly then landing on the swings (yelling enthusiaticly the whole time) maybe you could hang some ropes down longer than i do im thinking about making rope toys but not sure what rope to use
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Awesome ideas! We are on a tight budget here too. Not easy but I try and get them toys if ever I have money. The other day I was in Big W and found they have a fantastic range of bird toys, I was surprised that a department store even sold bird toys let alone good ones. Good prices too. Healsville might be a bit far from Big W but if ever in Melb be sure to check em out. Surprised me. lol
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Post by bec »

well healesvilles not too far from ringwood & im going there tomorrow !!!!!!
cool im shopping for the fids again!!!!
just the thing for cheering up larissa shes been sick again & had to spend 2 hours in pathology today getting blood tests poor kid
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

I go to the local cobbler to buy pieces of leather. The I hit the pet store and buy small rawhide bones and also seed blocks. Tie them all up with the leather and hang them from the ceiling and Gigi's perch. He loves trying to untie them! And there is no way for him to eat the raw hide as it's a solid piece. I also find that the chewable wood toys for ferrets are great to string up with leather and stick treats in. I use dried fruit so they don't spoil the wood.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I like those toys, anyway I would give baby teething toys for my bird, some toys have water or liquid inside them, so I just cut some part of it and squeeze the water out and rinse it.
Bliss

Re: cheap but interesting toys

Post by Bliss »

Thanks, Toy Shopping is always fun.