Kari!

Moderator: Mods

TiffandKari

Kari!

Post by TiffandKari »

All of the IRNs on this forum are sooooo beautiful so I felt I had to add my super cute green birdy!
Here is my Kari :) My boyfriend helped me name her :D I've had her for just over a month now.
I'm not too sure on her age OR gender, as the breeder I got her from wasn't the most helpful :lol: but anyway here is my lovely bird...

If anyone has any ideas on her age or gender please let me know!
Thank you!
:mrgreen:
Last edited by TiffandKari on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiff and Kari

InTheAir

Re: Kari!

Post by InTheAir »

Hi there. What a sweet looking bird!
I wouldn't know her age or sex though. If she gets a black ring in the next couple years, then she'd be young now and male... :wink:
I'll just say at least 5 months old, as my birds beaks darkened up a bit around that age. I might be way off the mark though. ..

Regards,
Claire
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Thank you Claire :)
She was apparently 4ish months old when I got her apparently so that sounds about right :D (unless the breeder wasn't very knowledgeable)
I just don't want to refer to my bird as the wrong sex, how embarrassing for poor Kari :lol:
I'll find out one day even if it takes years... :)
Tiff and Kari

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

You can have a dna test done, it's pretty easy.
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

I know, but it'd be nearly impossible for me to get any chest feathers from her right now, as she isn't completely used to me yet :(
maybe in a few weeks I'll get her tested... :)
Last edited by TiffandKari on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiff and Kari

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

We couldn't bring ourselves to pluck feathers out, so we had the vet draw blood from Nila. It wasn't super expensive.
By a year old he was acting pretty male anyway. I just caught my 5 month old female making heart shaped wings like a boy would do, so that isn't completely reliable
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Okay, thank you! I'll consider having my vet take blood instead as I also don't like the idea of plucking feathers, especially so soon after getting her... :(
In the meantime I suppose I'll look out for any gender specific behavior, trying not to be fooled by any red herrings! :wink:
Thanks again :)
Tiff and Kari

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

aw she is amazing. imo there is nothing like a green ringneck. green is my favorite color. :)

btw from the photo, to me, by the skull shape, your ringneck looks to be femaleish. but like the others said the only way is through dna testing or waiting out the three years.

but anyway she is one cute bird! if I ever get another ringneck I would get a green female. they are so chic looking. :0)

best wishes, IMRAN-C
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Thanks for your reply! I just had to get a green birdie, green is my favorite color too and it looks so beautiful on a bird :)

You're not the first to say she looks like a female! I also think she looks like a girl but I guess I'll either have to get a dna test or be very patient and wait and see :wink: either way I love my Kari :D

Kari loves compliments, she's quite sassy already hehe :lol:
Thanks so much for your replies everyone :D :mrgreen:
Tiff and Kari

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

What a sweetie. :)
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Thank you so much :mrgreen:
Tiff and Kari

Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Tiff,

Here in South Africa in a town about 50 miles from me there's a garden centre with a bird section that regularly employ an avian vet to sort out the town's feathered issues. He sexes the birds by putting them to sleep and then push an endoscope at a precise point between the bird's wings. The birds recover within a few minutes, no less off than a few minutes ago.

Perhaps you should consider a similar procedure if you're curious as to which sex Kari is. Although from her looks she looks female to me...then again I've been fooled by these birds before.

Kind regards,

Wessel
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Thank you, I will consider :)
The majority of the forum (and people I've asked) think Kari is a female, so I will go with that until she shows me any signs that she is a boy :lol:
I'm very happy to have a girl, I just hope she doesn't have any problems with eggs in the future, I'm not going to be breeding her but I'm still concerned...
Thanks for the reply :mrgreen:

(By the way it's great being able to talk to people from around the world about my Kari :D)
Tiff and Kari

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Wessel Gordon wrote:Tiff,

Here in South Africa in a town about 50 miles from me there's a garden centre with a bird section that regularly employ an avian vet to sort out the town's feathered issues. He sexes the birds by putting them to sleep and then push an endoscope at a precise point between the bird's wings. The birds recover within a few minutes, no less off than a few minutes ago.

Perhaps you should consider a similar procedure if you're curious as to which sex Kari is. Although from her looks she looks female to me...then again I've been fooled by these birds before.

Kind regards,

Wessel
Wessel, are you talking of Garden Pavillion? I love going to the bird section called Bird Buddies, to touch and play with the handraised birds. Its about 20 minutes drive from where I live!

Kari does look female to me.

Ash
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Ash

The garden centre I referred to is Pro Plants in Kimberley. Their bird section is known as Pro Birds.

Tiff: good luck on trying to wait 2-3 years to find out if Kari is male or female: I had quite a few IRN's from a young age and could never wait till nature decided to reveal one of it's little marvels to me so I always had them sexed by a vet if they weren't already sexed before I got them.
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

So that's 100% of the people I've asked saying Kari is a female, yay :D
and yeah, I'm going to have to be patient!
Tiff and Kari

Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Tiff,

Patience is a virtue but when it comes to trying to find out if a beloved IRN is male or female it can be absolutely your worst enemy.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

I'll go with patience in this case. And wait for a surprise!

May 100% of us are wrong :lol:

Ash
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Yeah it'll be hard to wait, but the surprise would be worth the wait :)
Once I know for sure what sex Kari is I shall let you all know :)
Tiff and Kari

TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

I have a BIG update for you all!
Kari is a BOY! That's right, a boy!
He must be much older than I thought as I saw him display last night, it was so clear I actually cried a little because I was so shocked!
And yes, I am aware how male and female ringnecks display differently before anyone asks :lol:
So yes, Kari is not a girl but in fact, a boy!
I'm just as surprised as you all are, I'm looking forward to seeing Kari's beautiful ring when it finally comes through!
:mrgreen:

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=18816
Tiff and Kari

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'd keep watching. .. My 6 month old hen makes heart shaped wings at her toys quite often, then she crouches and clucks at our male other times.
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Okay I shall keep an eye on Kari, I get too excited over potential nothings! Oh well, I guess it comes with IRN ownership :lol:
I shall keep you all updated if anything big actually does happen :P
Tiff and Kari