Is this?

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

Is this?

Post by Skyes_crew »

My ringneck turns a year old tomorrow. To my knowledge, since having my bird (5weeks) he/she has never displayed male or female behavior. I am sending off the DNA test as soon as I get the kit I ordered so ill know for sure in a couple of weeks. My question is this...in the picture is this the beginning of a ring? Also what age do ringnecks usually display? My baby doesn't really display anything accept to want to be with me 24/7. I've watched many videos of the differences between male and female behaviors and my bird does none of it. I'm a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Skyes_crew

Re: Is this?

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is there not anyone that can answer my question or give me some advice??? I can't find answers anywhere.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I always thought she was a hen because she was rounder. But then it seemed like the gray around her neck was getting darker. The man who owned her before me fed her nothing but cockatiel seed and table scraps. So i thought maybe she was a bit overweight. As for her behavior, I have other birds but no other IRN's. we are in breeding season now. Is it possible she'll never display because of being hand raised and away from other IRN's? Thank you for your help :)

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

hens will cluck (if they're in the mood) when you touch them on the back of their heads- they'll lift their heads and flatten their backs...there are plenty of good vids on youtube showing a hens' display.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Chocobo,

Do young males cluck at all? Our bird is about 8 months old and dna sexed male has started clucking a lot. I'm guessing it would be to early to tell much by his behaviour though.

Claire
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I've watched the videos of the hens. It's quite cute how they cluck. My bird lays on my chest with her head down and let's me scratch everywhere and the only sound I hear is almost like a purring sound. The only sound I've heard close to a cluck is when I'm eating something she wants. Then she pins her eyes and makes little squeaky noises when she gets the food. I think what I have is a humanized hen lol.

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

InTheAir wrote:Chocobo,

Do young males cluck at all? Our bird is about 8 months old and dna sexed male has started clucking a lot. I'm guessing it would be to early to tell much by his behaviour though.

Claire
in my experience- yes, they do :lol: you can see my avatar 'chocobo' as a juv- he is now 5 yrs old and will still cluck when you give him a neck rub lol
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks, I'm so glad he's normal in that respect.
puppypundit

Post by puppypundit »

I'm convinced that my Blue Berry is female. She turned one in January and only has that faint ring that many blue hens have.

She does sometimes do the heart-shaped wing dance like a male and will bob her head to fake regurgitate to me. Thank goodness she has never showered me with a pre-digested breakfast!

Anyway, maybe she is trans-gendered. No worries, she can fly her rainbow-coloured freak flag high in my household. We love her.

I'll have the post quota to submit pics and links soon!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey puppy,

The breeder thought he was a girl and we didn't get the DNA test for a couple months... When it came back as a boy we had a very confusing few weeks trying to remember to refer to him as a boy and I'm sure our little brains wouldn't take the strain again lol I've only just got used to having a boy bird
ChristinaMarie418

Post by ChristinaMarie418 »

You have a very beautiful baby!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ok all the results are in....drum roll please.....

It's a boy!!!!

Just today I'm also noticing black feathers come through on the sides of the beak. He's just started to molt.

puppypundit

Post by puppypundit »

What a cutie! Take lots of pre-ringed baby pics to remember what he looked like.