Pure white ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

AmyJoy

Pure white ringnecks

Post by AmyJoy »

Hey!
I have a pure white Indian Ringneck. I personally don't like calling him an albino due to the stigma attached to an albino animal (sickly, quiet, shorter life etc). I haven't come across anyone else who has one and was just wondering if anyone has one and if they have any sickly traits?
My bird Pirate is so full of energy. He is 7 months and already says hello, meows like a cat, makes ambulance siren noises, wolf whistles, copies text message noises, makes laser noises, laughs etc. He also eats anything I give him and is very loving. Kisses me all the time and snuggles with me. Never seemed quiet or sick ever. So yeah, was just wondering :)
digitaltiger

Re: Pure white ringnecks

Post by digitaltiger »

I think albino IRN's really need a vitamin in order to be healthy,i think its Vitamin A.
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

Oh! really? I'll have to look into that. Thank you! :D
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hey

There is nothing wrong with albino ringnecks. They require the same amount of vitamins and nutrients as a standard colour ringneck or any other bird for that matter.
The reason an albino is white is because it has less or no melanin(the part in the genetic make-up that gives birds their feather, feet and eye colour).

I have 3 albino ringnecks out in my avairies. They are just as noisy, playfull etc as my other ringnecks. 1 is about 8years now, 1 about 5years now and the other is just going on a year. The 2 older ones are hens and have been successful and excellent mothers for a few years now.

From my perspective they are beautiful birds. Don't stress about your girl/boy unless there is due cause for it
eg: lethargic, change in stool, undue feather loss etc

Regards
Carmen
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

Thank you!

Makes me feel better knowing you have some older albino ones as I don't want to lose my baby any time soon :)

Thanks again!
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

I was told yesterday that my IRN is not an albino by a professional bird person (haha I don't know if they have a formal name), because he has blue eyes and his feet aren't light enough. Sometimes I notice a very light pearlescent blue on his back and tail although if you glance at him quickly he just looks white. I thought it may have been a reflection on his white feathers but I've moved him around and if I look closely the light tinge of blue is still there. So I am now confused at to what colour he actually is!
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi AmyJoy

By the sounds of it your birdie is a cinnamon blue pallidino or maybe just a lighter blue pallidino. Pallidino is a lighter form of pallid(lacewing), which means your baby has a good chance of being a male although you might find a lighter female too. Have you had him/her dna or surgically sexed?

Thanks
Carmen
AmyJoy

Post by AmyJoy »

Hi Carmen,

Yes he has been DNA sexed as male (got results today :D ) . Thank you for your reply. He just looks so white. I guess if he doesn't get a ring then I'll know if he is an albino? The blue eyes and pearlescent blue tinge just keep throwing me off :D