FINALLY! Pics of Shirley and (La)verne

Moderator: Mods

ShirleyBird

FINALLY! Pics of Shirley and (La)verne

Post by ShirleyBird »

Here they are! So excited! I finally figured it out.lol.
Does anyone have thoughts on the sexes? They both have very different features Shirley is more of a lean face Verne is more rounded...male / female? Lol. I know you can't REALLY tell without DNA but we can have fun guessing right?
Attachments
IMG_20110813_181101.jpg
IMG_20110813_181145.jpg
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg
myrka2004

Re: FINALLY! Pics of Shirley and (La)verne

Post by myrka2004 »

I'm not expert, but try my guess - for me is hen on the right of your last picture.
Very cute parrots. What is the color? Light blue or light grey?
thanks for sharing.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My guess is the opposite. Female on the left but I really have no idea. I'm comparing their head shapes to that of my two.

Ellie.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="myrka2004"][color=#FF00FF][b]I'm not expert, but try my guess - for me is hen on the right of your last picture.
Very cute parrots. What is the color? Light blue or light grey?
thanks for sharing.[/b][/color][/quote]

Thanks for your guess! I thoughts the hen was on the left and male on the right. I kinda like not knowing for sure yet so I don't know if ill get the test....its like waiting for the sex of your baby.lol. They are both light blue. Very pretty I think. I had only seen green until we came across them. They're not that tame yet, but couldn't resist getting them. We have had them for 2 mths and they are now 9 mths old. Shirley ( left) is just starting to step up on a stick to be transferred to their play tree. Verne(right) the possible male doesn't want any part of stepping up and has decided he(?) would rather walk there.lol.They are so much fun to watch, I truthfully don't care if I ever get to pet them....it would be nice though.lol.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="ellieelectrons"]My guess is the opposite. Female on the left but I really have no idea. I'm comparing their head shapes to that of my two.

Ellie.[/quote]

Thanks for your guess! I agree with you! Please read above for more info. Thanks again for your reply.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="Ariahna"]You have two beautiful birds Shirley. I have no idea though, so hopefully the experts will be by soon. :D

I have heard that the males have a flatter head, and I would say PJ definitely has a flatter head. So based on that I would guess your male is on the left and the female is on the right. :)[/quote]

Thanks for the guess...and for the compliment, I think they're beautiful ( not that I'm bias or anything.lol). They do have two totally different looks...I know that doesn't mean that they're different sexes though, just a feeling they are. I probably should get the test done....being they're names are girl names( Laverne can drop the la and be ok, poor Shirley though.lol.I wouldn't know what to do abt that 1.) As for PJ, he's just so cute! You can tell he's a very lucky bird to have you..and you him. You've done a GREAT job with him.
julie

Post by julie »

I would say boy on right girl on left. It could be verne for a boy,one of the boys in the movie stand by me his name is verne.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="julie"]I would say boy on right girl on left. It could be verne for a boy,one of the boys in the movie stand by me his name is verne.[/quote]

Lol. I know...technically it was Laverne and Shirley (I don't know if your familiar with the show? ) Then we thought it looked more like a boy( just by features seen of other males). So we shortened it just in case...poor Shirley,if its a boy then I don't know what ill do, can't pass that one off. Lol. * side note *I HATE saying it! It is a thing not a living creature and definitely doesn't sound right describing my babies! I like the surprise of waiting but ill probably give in to the test.lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

What sweeties you have there.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="pinkdevil"]What sweeties you have there.[/quote]

Thanks!! I think so.....but I'm bias....lol. Just like kids, lol, they are messy and grumpy and don't listen well, but in my eyes they're the best! Lol.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

ShirleyBird,

Ha Ha Ha! You sound like me :lol: I tend to think my little monsters are the best too! You have such wonderful birds and i really love the color. They kind of remind me of my female ringneck Devri. But you know why i am delighted about your post? You actually can see they look different according to skull shape! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now, i thought i was the only one who had that skill :wink: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'm not an expert either but I'll guess the hen is on the right.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

[quote="ringneck"]ShirleyBird,

Ha Ha Ha! You sound like me :lol: I tend to think my little monsters are the best too! You have such wonderful birds and i really love the color. They kind of remind me of my female ringneck Devri. But you know why i am delighted about your post? You actually can see they look different according to skull shape! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now, i thought i was the only one who had that skill :wink: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C[/quote]
Lol. I can definitely tell that( shape )lol...now only if I could tell the sex. Your going with hens? Or 1 of each?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

okay, from the second picture that you posted i say the one on the left is a male while the one on the right is a female. But, i have to see the bird in person as it could just be the angle of the photo :lol:

It is so funny because when i got Devri i was able to sex all the breeder's babies just by looking at them! ha ha ha ha! She looked at me like i was nuts. But guess what, i was 100% rite. 8) I really have to see the birds in person to get a good idea--even then i could be wrong :wink: But the only sure way to know for 100% would be to get a DNA test:) Or wait the three years out :D .

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C