New Addition

Moderator: Mods

Featherz

New Addition

Post by Featherz »

Hi guys

Just wanted to share a couple of photos of my new ringneck. He/she is 8 months old, hand raised and very friendly. I was told his colour is very rare and expensive so if someone could shed some light on that it would be interesting. I think its a he but I'm not sure. One habit I have noted of him is that he likes to nibble on everything he sees and when nothing is around he bites his nails, he lets you hold him by his back and he lays there nibbling on his nails, I think it is very cute but is it something I should be conerned about? Could his nails be too long and bothering him? Also, although he is not at all afraid of hands he is not trained, by that I mean he doesn't willingly step up or listen to your commands, I'm guessing this is something only persistent training will fix.

Anyway, here are a few photos, not very clear because they are taken by my phone camera: :)

-Featherz
Featherz

Re: New Addition

Post by Featherz »

Sorry, forgot to add, if anyone can help me out with his/her mutation is would be much appreciated. I will try and post clearer photos soon but at the moment he is a slightly darker grey on the wings and a white ish colour on the body.
-Featherz
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

No help with the mutation sorry, but he is very nice and has a beautiful red beak. :)

As for the nail chewing, I don't really think the length of nails would be of concern. I never have trimmed any of my birds nails. They do have natural perches and not those dowel or rope ones though, (not sure what you have :)).
I know my CAG likes to keep his nails nicely manicured but that is a trait of the breed. My other birds do keep their nails nice but I am not sure how often they are doing it. When I walk past or in the room, they all stop doing what ever it is they are doing and watch what I am doing instead. :lol:

Some one else may have better imput on what could be going on. :)
Featherz

Post by Featherz »

Thanks for that. Any ideas on his age? I'm not convinced that he is around 8 months old because his flock call sounds like a baby voice and from experience I know even 6month old ringnecks have a louder flock call than that.
-Featherz
OliveIrn

Post by OliveIrn »

Hi! Very cute looking bird! As for the color, it might be a silver gray b/c of the white -ish coloring on his body. Nevertheless he is a very beautiful bird.
bec

Post by bec »

i would say a definite silver ( cinamon grey)
he looks just like my skeet
they are a beautiful color
ive had a few bird that seem like they were chewing on their nails
what did you call your bub?