My new Easter addition'

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

My new Easter addition'

Post by pinkdevil »

Here is my big surprise!!!!!!!!!

I have joined the elite club of finally OWNING my dream bird.......a CAG, (Congo African Grey). :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
He is aprox 4.5-5 months old, says 'hello', 'what are you doing', whisles and mutters a few things that we can not yet understand, and loves his toys.
We picked him up yesterday and he has settled in with no problems. Although the sight of Freebee the cat did make him go into 'statue' mode. :lol: But he seems to have began to accept the cat.
We have not chosen a name for hime as yet, trying to work out his personality and find something suitable.

Here is my baby boy......

and another.......

yet another one......

an 'action' shot one.....

aaannnnndddd just one more.....

One of my Jasper.....

My Sun Conure.....Sunny :D

pinkdevil

Re: My new Easter addition'

Post by pinkdevil »

The daddy to my green bubs......

and one of his son/daughter....

xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

They are all gorgeous!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks Sheena.

I have finally chosen a name for the Grey. Rafiki, prounounced RAH-fee-kee, meaning 'Friend' in Kenya.
Sash4

Post by Sash4 »

How cute is That? lol amazing looking birds, it'd be interesting to see how he developes, spoiled rotten would be a guess lol..
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Ayy aren't they a good lookin bunch :)

Can I ask you how much you got the grey for? He's hand raised right? Over here they are simply expensive. Simply a cute lil one that grey :D
SleepyGargoyle

Post by SleepyGargoyle »

So jealous those are my favorite! What a beautiful flock you have. Congratulations on the new baby!
Last edited by SleepyGargoyle on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

In Australia Hand young raised AG range between $6,000 & $8,000. Depending on quality and quietness of bird.

My guy is hand raised and was on the high end of the price range, but definitly worth every penny.
I could not have asked for a better bird IMO.
He is a well behaved, very stable bird. Settled in like he was born and raised here. After all I have read on how highly strung CAGs are, I thought I would have had at least a week of adjustment period, but he was muttering away, eating and wanted to be out of his cage and with us as soon as we walked through the door after a 4 hour car trip! Could not have asked more from him. :)

Very, very, very happy owner...or should I say, slave! :lol: :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Here is Rafiki in action.

Had 4 tries at videoing him as he kept flying to me lol

He was doing alot of muttering BEFORE the video was switched on....always the way :roll: :lol: :lol: . Hoping to get some of him talking and chattering in the future. Maybe when he isn't so conscious of the camera.

Anyway here he is. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2KhezzGO6c
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

very cute :)
how many handraised birds do you have now?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Yeah i guess with a beak that strong an powerful, you'd not want a nipper :lol:
I asked because I just wanted to compare. They go for about 700euros to 1500 and sometimes even 2000 euros for a good hand raised bird with all its papers etc. A long time ago, my wife was offered one free but due to a lack of space, she turned it down :(

Well congratulations on the lil grey one. He's really something. I saw the video on youtube and he's so playful. Can hardly say he's a new bird. Fantastic :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks smallworld. :)

Shame at the time you could not keep the AG. Maybe next time. :)

Sheena, I have a few tame birds lol.

Bought hand raised, I have:- 2 x Sun Conures, a female Eclectus, 2 x cockatiel girls, 1 x rainbow lorikeet, a lutino cockatiel that was given to me as the owners neighbours were complaining about the 'noise'!! :o :roll: plus my CAG. :D

Bought aviary birds that were either quiet or I quietened them :- 2 x ringies, 2 x male eclectus.

Hand raised myself :- 7 x ringies, 2 x rainbow lories.

Plus a few aviary birds.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

wow!
how do you have enough time for all of them??
Im jelous of you now! I sooo want a female eccy!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I was only working part time, but had to give it up due to back health issues so now have all day, for the time being, to spend with my birds.

Most of the young that I raise are for sale. Have kept a couple that I 'connected' with, (ie: can't bear to part with), so will remain with me. lol

Our female eclectus talks, she is meant to be able to say over 40+ words.
Her owner was an Italian so alot of what she says, and we can't understand, I am guessing is Italian. She says the basic hellos etc as well as Mumma Mia and wazzzzuuuuppppp in a deep mans voice, 'what ya doin' giiiiirrll?', 'yeah yeah', 'good good', and 'good girl'. Also says 'step up' after me saying that to my babies, 'get down' from telling the dog to get off the step, 'wait' a command we have given our dog to wait for her food, says her name 'Bella' in a few different voices, 'Bella Boo', a nickname I gave her when we first got her, barks like a small dog, has a 'smokers' cough from her previous owners coughing, has a short vabrato melody.......really talks up a storm when she thinks no one is listening lol.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

she sounds amazing :P
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

I just posted on your facebook! Ha ha ha! I logged into to my account today and low-and-behold you got an CAG! ha ha ha! You're so funny--you were always in the elite club. ha ha ha ha! You know so much and i know rafiki has been taken to a wonderful home. I can't wait till he starts to copy you. They bring so much joy but let me tell you their bites are NOTHING like a ringnecks--ha ha ha ha ha 8) :lol:

I wanna see so many pictures. He is just a baby and his eyes are still so dark. I wished mine turned a bright yellow but they stayed a light yellow color--too bad..maybe you'll have better luck. What a great Easter gift--i am gunna ask the Easter Bunny to give me a parrot too! :oP I am so happy for ya!

HEy, how come greys are so expensive down there in AU? We can get them down here for about 500 - 600 dollars at a breeders or 900 - 1200 at pet stores..odd! ? I wish all you austrians could get them for that price and they were not so expensive :roll: !

IMRAN-C
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I can't wait till Rifiki starts to copy my words, hope Shane doesn't teach him any naughty things. :o :shock: :lol:

Yes, Greys beaks a MUCH bigger compared to a ringie, but I have been bitten by a galah so am comparing it to that. Hoping he will be a good boy and remember who loves him! lol

AGs are still quite 'rare' in Aussieland. Not alot of breeders although I think in the next 5 - 10 years prices could come down slightly as birds mature to breed.
Also a few people have the thought that they are too hard to breed etc so not interested.

I did see a mature pair of bonded birds advertised for $22,000 last week.
It is probably good that some of the exotic birds are high priced, stops just anyone owning one and not giving it the proper care that some of these birds need.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Wow 22,000 is insane!!!!! For that price you could import a pair from anywhere in the world, with all the papers! Of course theres the stress on the animal but 22000?!?! If only, the breeders donate a portion of that money to saving the wild parrots... But yeah you're kinda right about the exotic birds and high prices. Though over here, with the exception of some parrots, like ringnecks, lovebirds, kakarikis, rosellas and some others, you have to register your bird with the state. The state is also allowed to perform spot checks at anytime to check the living conditions of the birds. So i think thats a good thing too.
julie

Post by julie »

omg you are so so lucky and im so so jealous :D :D :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

$22,000 for a pair of Greys does sound expensive but here in Australia, they are not common so it's supply and demand.

I recently read somewhere that it is illegal to import any bird into Austalia now. But even if we were allowed, the cost of just bring the bird here, quarantine costs as well as everything else, would far outway the $22,000 for a pair already here.

Also depending on what state the bird will live as to if the species are allowed.
I am in New South Wales in Australia, but if I live in Western Australia, (same country, different state), AGs are illegal to own.

The same rules applies to other species of birds as well as reptiles. There are a few snakes that are illegal to own as pets in W.A. but fine in most other states. Also in Victoria Aust, they can own wildlife as pets provinging the correct licences are held.

Stupid 'same country different rules'. :/

hehehe Julie ;)
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Love the name.... Love the bird. Gorgeous! I would love an AG.
Lucky....
Allie
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

hey pinkdevil
im just wondering what size cage do you have for your eclectus?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks CalamariBaby. :)

Sheen:- the eclectus are currently in a temp aviary, (which seems to be semi permanent due to someone being 'always too busy' :evil: ) of aprox 8 foot long and 5 foot wide.
I am planing on having a much larger suspended built to house them in...hopefully soon. :?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

are they hard birds to look after?
i think they are my favourite bird, i probaly cant get one though
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I would not say they are a hard bird to look after, but they do require a different diet...mostly fruit/veg as well as small amount of seed etc. They need foods rich vitamin A, good green leafy vegies and orange or red fruit and vegies should cover that.
Just like any other pet, a well balanced diet suited to their needs is required.

My male does seem to pluck around the same time of the year, not sure if it is weather related, (heat), or the type of seasonal fruit he is given at that time of the year. I am going to document it this time round and see if there is a anything in common to link it.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

yeah i know they can have feather plucking problems
i would like a female because i think they are prettier :)