Blood, blood and more blood...

Moderator: Mods

Edvinne

Blood, blood and more blood...

Post by Edvinne »

Ok, I'll start by saying the I may have over reacted in the tile... I got my IRN about 6 months ago and the guy at the pet store asked if he must clip my bird's wing... I unwittingly said sure... there was blood... but now still if he gets a little active in his cage or try to fly he bleeds from his wing...( nothing grew back)...
sanjays mummi

Re: Blood, blood and more blood...

Post by sanjays mummi »

You are lucky he didn't exsanguinate to death, or die from shock. If the damage was that severe, it may be the feathers will Never grow back (poor little guy), you could use a dab of styptic to stop further bleeding, the guy who clipped him needs shooting! He obviously didn't know what he was doing.
Edvinne

Post by Edvinne »

sanjays mummi wrote:You are lucky he didn't exsanguinate to death, or die from shock. If the damage was that severe, it may be the feathers will Never grow back (poor little guy), you could use a dab of styptic to stop further bleeding, the guy who clipped him needs shooting! He obviously didn't know what he was doing.
Thanks when it bleeds its only a few drops of blood but how can I stop the bleeding once and for all?.. or do I have to go to a vet?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think it would be best to go to an avian vet just to be on the safe side, they are expensive but worth the cost
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

A styptic would stop it, If it was a bleeding blood vessel it wouldn't be a little and your bird would not be alive, birds bleed to death rapidly, I am so angry with that guy, I am incandescent!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Seriously, just take the poor bird to an avian vet!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ditto. Before you consider clipping again, really ask yourself if clipping is the appropriate thing. In my opinion, it almost never is, even when done without making the bird bleed.
-MissK
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I agree with MissK.

The real question you have to ask yourself is: why do I want to clip her wings?

Of my flock of 6 birds only my Congo AFrican Grey is clipped and that was done by a qualified avian vet. The only reason I had her wings clipped was to stop her escaping her previous cage and flying off unnoticed since she was able to open it. Since then I have switched to a cage she can't open and I've built an amazing bond with her to the point that even if she is out of her cage and free to go where-ever she wished she remains sitting on my lap. Me and her attended a family wedding last weekend and she spent the best part of 7-8 hours on my lap with nothing between her and the clear blue sky...the only times she left my lap was when she lost her balance and fell off. Her feathers are growing back to the extent that I'm sure she could have taken flight if she really wanted to.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Fell off?, did she sip your champagne? :D
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Lol.

Her being completely sober is hectic enough. She only had some water.