natural jute twine

Moderator: Mods

Bird_lover574

natural jute twine

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Hi there
I recently purchased natural jute twine from a garden centre for my IRN. I have made several toys for him using it but i am hesitant to use them as i noticed the twine has a particularly strong smell. I was unsure whether this is natural or chemical and wondered if anyone has experienced this before.
MissK

Re: natural jute twine

Post by MissK »

You should carefully read the label and might call the manufacturer. Jute may have a smell, but if it is a strong smell, especially a chemical smell, I would not use it. In particular, goods from the garden store may have been treated to increase durability in outside applications. Try the craft store instead or look for something (I can't believe I'm saying this) labelled "organic". Your "natural" might just mean it isn't dyed.
-MissK
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Im very apprehensive about it as it does have quite a strong smell. I have cleaned it aswell and it still has a strong smell. I emailed the garden centre i bought it from to check with them and as far as i know they are enquiring about it. I am pleased with the toys i made using it but i definitely will not be using it until im sure. I think it smells kind of like petrol bit my dad said that jute does have a smell and didnt really think much of it but im not taking any risks. Yeah the "natural" on the label means natural colour. This information was available on the website
MissK

Post by MissK »

Let me go smell my twine. (Parrot people say the weirdest things.......)

If anything it smells dusty. It does have an odor, but not of petrol. I've smelled twine with that petrol smell and left it in the store. I've lost the label by now, sorry.
-MissK
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

I probably wouldnt have bought it if i had smelled it myself but it was my mum that got it when she was out. I shall try a craft store like you suggested. New motto: smell before you buy! (Yes parrot people really do say the weirdest things) i suspect i will get a few odd looks aswell :lol: