How old is my IRN?

Moderator: Mods

juhason

How old is my IRN?

Post by juhason »

I rescued a IRN the other day and I was told by the rescuers that it was a baby... but after just a few minutes of research it is CLEARLY not. Maybe they meant it was young?

I am not home to take a picture yet, but I can do my best to describe him.

His beak is a dark red with a pretty large amount of black near the bottom of it. I can't remember if the ring goes all the way around, but his front neck area is fully black. He has orange circles around his eyes and his feet are pretty light colored. His tail is very very short and his body is really small (a bit smaller than cockatiel sized). This is all I can remember.

I know the ring indicates that they are about 1 1/2 to 2 years old! If he is this old how likely am I to tame him?
juhason

Re: How old is my IRN?

Post by juhason »

So I was able to actually contact the rescuer and verify the age. She told me he is about 2 years old. Also someone on the parrot forum saw my pics and was able to identify it as a African Ringneck! (or at least a hybrid). Now my question is how likely will he learn to talk at this age? this WILL NOT effect anything, I just want to have an idea.
sanjays mummi

Re: How old is my IRN?

Post by sanjays mummi »

There is no guarantees that he will talk. Sanjay started talking when his daddi was here, but since he died, Sanjay says much less. I think he was about two when he whistled "Colonel Bogey" and made us howl with laughter.