stange lump on foot

Moderator: Mods

Rocco0115

stange lump on foot

Post by Rocco0115 »

hi guys

hope somebody can give some indication as to what this could be ??? Image

i know the nail is missing, was missing when i got him i have noticed this lump forming on his foot. I'm finding it hard to find a decent vet that know anything about parrots so if any of you know what it is or anything it would be a great help !!!

Thanks

Andrew and Rocco
MissK

Re: stange lump on foot

Post by MissK »

Andrew, why don't you post where you are in the UK and ask if anybody can recommend a vet?
Foot problems have the potential to get out of hand and quite dangerous, though to my uneducated eyes, this doesn't look like it has reached emergency status, in that it isn't an open wound, but it does need looking at. If you want to scare the pants off yourself, Google "bumblefoot". Keep looking for someone who knows what they're talking about. Also, doesn't appear to be on a weight bearing part of that toe, so good news. Make sure Rocco has enough vitamin A in the diet. I took Rocky in once when I noticed some stuff on the foot and the vet told me it was an old issue healing well. Better safe than sorry.
-MissK
Rocco0115

Post by Rocco0115 »

Just a quick up date,

managed to find an exotic vet that had some experience with parrots to take a look at Rocco's lump on his foot. he was such a good boy and the outcome is she thinks it might just be an infection of some sort so has given me some baytril to give him over the next 10 days, if no improvement then it will be biopsy time.

Fingers crossed it helps

Andrew and Rocco
MissK

Post by MissK »

Questions for introspection:

What does a biopsy tell you? --What question does a biopsy answer for the vet, and does knowing that answer help you? What would the vet reasonably expect to find in such a situation? How would they respond to that information, what treatment?

Do you have a certainly reliable method of getting your Baytril into your bird? Is it a rub-on or an add-to-water?

Is the bird getting a varied diet with all the vitamins, etc, he needs? Correct that immediately, if he isn't.

Of course you just noticed this bump, but has it gotten any worse? Better?

Could it be a healing wound? Scar tissue?

It's good to do a little brainstorming.
-MissK