Should I get a Ringneck?

Moderator: Mods

juhason

Should I get a Ringneck?

Post by juhason »

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. :)

I am looking to get a new parrot and right now Indian Ringnecks are at the top of my list.
I was just wondering what some of the pros/cons are of this species.
(Are they loud, cuddly/friendly, do they learn tricks easy, etc.)

I know they are amazing talkers and clowns, but was wondering overall how good of a pet they are. I am bouncing back and forth between a ringneck and a conure (most likely a Green Cheek) so if anyone wants to tell me the pros/cons of Green Cheeks, that would be great!
sanjays mummi

Re: Should I get a Ringneck?

Post by sanjays mummi »

If your ringneck has been aviary hatched and parent reared, taming will take longer, my Sanjay was both, they are independent, and less "needy" than some species, in that you can leave them to go shopping or work, and they don't start plucking feathers or self harming. That is Not to say they can be ignored or neglected. I don't have any "cons", because in my case I got exactly what I wanted, a cheeky, funny little bird, who is feisty, independent and does things on his terms at his own pace. After five years he finally allows a neck tickle, but he still won't step up, even though there are times when he goes to land on me, then wusses out at the last minute!. All parrots can be noisy, ( which is why a group of parrots is known as a "pandemonium" of parrots). Bear in mind, as with All pets, they are a tie, unless they and you trust someone to look after them if you go on holiday. They are not cheap to feed, if you give them the variety of foods they need to stay healthy. Others may mention "bluffing" but I have had absolutely No experience of this, my little sweetheart is amiable and affable, and has no reasons to attack or bite me, You will need to purchase the largest cage you can afford, they love to climb, clamber and flit about, the IRN is an energetic, curious, and "busy" little person. I know zilch about Conures, except they are smaller. Best of Luck7
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'd like to add that even though any particular cage may well be the "biggest you can afford", it might still not be big enough. Many times the "biggest cage you can afford" may morph into "the biggest cage you WANT to afford". Not the same thing. I've seen adverts for cages specifying they are sized for Ringnecks that clearly are not big enough. Honestly, some people get away with a cage 36" square, but I'd say it's pushing the small end, AND the bird needs to come out a lot. The catch is that your bird may not want to come back into the cage before you get to a place in your relationship where you can handle him, and THAT is a road to grief. This is an active and really smart bird who should not be let to suffer boredom. We did used to have a regular poster whose life was held ransom by her bird not being mentally challenged enough. The bird's method of complaint? NOISE. Lots of it. My cage is 5 feet long and about 3 feet high, interior, and I would like it to be double that TO START. I really did buy the biggest cage I could afford, but if I am able to pry loose enough money, I'd like to double it, long and high.

I don't know a lot about the activity level of the GCC, but I can say the Ringneck cage would automatically have to be bigger because it has to accommodate that big tail. Bird Channel .com reports the GCC at 10 inches, while the IRN is closer to 16 inches. I don't know about the noise level of the GCC either, but I can tell you I firmly believe it would be a mistake to keep an IRN in an apartment. I did meet a woman who kept an IRN in an apartment, and how she kept from being thrown out, I'll never know. She was trying to sell her bird.

Cuddly? Um, no; don't expect it. I am prepared to admit that if you are an exceptional trainer and maybe you have an exceptional bird, cuddling could happen. I wouldn't bet my lunch on it, though, even if I just had a tuna sandwich. I believe the IRN can learn to do anything physically possible for an IRN to do, if YOU are smart enough to teach it. Have you ever trained a cat?

Talking? Maybe. Maybe your bird will talk and maybe not. If it is critical you have an amazing talking bird, buy one who already says what you want to hear. I'm serious. Actually, that would go for any birds. Clowns? My birds are clowny when they are expressing their boyness in the nesting time of the year but not otherwise.

How are they as a pet? If cuddles are your thing, keep looking. If handing the bird things will keep you satisfied, you could be happy, so long as your bird accepts them. Some people have been quite successful trick training their Ringnecks, and you could probably be one of them if you are able and willing to put in the time and work.

As with so many other parrots, Ringnecks are generally loud, messy, and prone to pleasing themselves. Some chew simply everything. Some are mainly vocal at predictable times, and others never shut up. Their alarm call is loud and shrill enough to damage your hearing. Some people cannot stand to be in the same room as this noise, while others seem to have an easier time. The bite of a frightened Ringneck is not going to seriously injure you unless it gets infected, but once bitten, twice shy. It can make you bleed, and they may hang on. Even just a pinch may bruise you and leave your skin dented for a little bit. To make matters worse, once you upset your Ringneck so as to provoke a bite, you're going to step backwards in your training. Sigh. Don't give them a reason to bite.

Why would anyone keep one of these birds???? Well, for me, I saw them once upon a time, and I just felt they were for me. I followed this hunch up with a year's worth of research (taking an actual year). Then I shopped carefully and looked at a number of birds before settling on a 10 year old second hand male. I hit the jackpot, but while I was looking for a second bird. I got to realize how extremely lucky I got the first time. You will have to talk to others about getting a baby; I felt it was unethical FOR ME to buy a baby when there are so many in need of second or third or fourth homes. A common reason for an IRN to need a new home is that the people didn't realize what they were getting into and couldn't live happily with their bird. Noise is frequently the deal breaker. My local rescue asks $75 American for IRNS. Breeders ask multiples of that. Even rehomers ask plenty more. The lady who sold me my second IRN was asking hundreds of dollars, but she settled for my price because she was so desperate to get rid of a bird she couldn't handle. She replaced him with a baby. I hope he fared better. I suggest you volunteer with a Rescue to care for some Ringnecks so you can see first hand some of the pros and cons. They might also have some GCCs and then you could even compare. At the very least, go see some adult birds people are looking to rehome, especially the noisy ones. Be aware that a bird confined in a too small cage might be scared silent, but only temporarily.

You will find here some people handle their birds, others interact in different ways. Some play games, some talk back and forth, most seem to do training of some sort. I do a lot of pausing at my birds' cage, handing them stuff, talking to them, and tending the cage-keeping chores than don't seem ever to end. My #1 bird will usually step up, and it still about stops my heart when he flies to my wrist. My #2 bird isn't having any of that. I do a lot of tinkering with their environment and making them stuff. The biggest rush, for me, is having them out to fly around and play on their cage top jungle. It's very hard to get anything like consideration out of either one when they are out of the cage together. My #1 will about shove me off my own plate of food, but he won't let me touch him. When we touch, it's because he initiated that. It would be much easier at vet time if things were to develop a bit past this. I am utterly thrilled with both of my birds, but I think my bird goals and expectations may be significantly different from those of many others. I also think a year of study and consideration was time well spent.

I think that until you have a strong conviction about what species you prefer, you should keep doing research and introspection. Also, do extra research and learn about different kinds of birds. There are, I understand, some 300-ish parrot species commonly kept as pets. If you only know ten or twenty of them, you are seriously shortchanging yourself. It may be helpful to have an honest look at your preferences and lifestyle so you can commit to paper which traits in the potential pet would be desirable, which undesirable, which essential, and which deal breakers. You might turn up the perfect bird you never knew about, or prevent a disaster. You should certainly check out the Rescues and bird shows. Look on breeder sites and Hoobly to learn names of birds and then spend an afternoon at BirdChannel.com reading about them. Don't pick your bird by appearance alone -- remember that gorgeous hottie you were interested in who turned out to be a complete jerk when you got to know them? A word to the wise should suffice. If nothing else, remember the bird you get is the bird you get. Promises of the bird he could be may never pan out.
-MissK
juhason

Post by juhason »

sanjays mummi wrote:If your ringneck has been aviary hatched and parent reared, taming will take longer, my Sanjay was both, they are independent, and less "needy" than some species, in that you can leave them to go shopping or work, and they don't start plucking feathers or self harming. That is Not to say they can be ignored or neglected. I don't have any "cons", because in my case I got exactly what I wanted, a cheeky, funny little bird, who is feisty, independent and does things on his terms at his own pace. After five years he finally allows a neck tickle, but he still won't step up, even though there are times when he goes to land on me, then wusses out at the last minute!. All parrots can be noisy, ( which is why a group of parrots is known as a "pandemonium" of parrots). Bear in mind, as with All pets, they are a tie, unless they and you trust someone to look after them if you go on holiday. They are not cheap to feed, if you give them the variety of foods they need to stay healthy. Others may mention "bluffing" but I have had absolutely No experience of this, my little sweetheart is amiable and affable, and has no reasons to attack or bite me, You will need to purchase the largest cage you can afford, they love to climb, clamber and flit about, the IRN is an energetic, curious, and "busy" little person. I know zilch about Conures, except they are smaller. Best of Luck7
Thank you so so much!
juhason

Post by juhason »

MissK wrote:I'd like to add that even though any particular cage may well be the "biggest you can afford", it might still not be big enough. Many times the "biggest cage you can afford" may morph into "the biggest cage you WANT to afford". Not the same thing. I've seen adverts for cages specifying they are sized for Ringnecks that clearly are not big enough. Honestly, some people get away with a cage 36" square, but I'd say it's pushing the small end, AND the bird needs to come out a lot. The catch is that your bird may not want to come back into the cage before you get to a place in your relationship where you can handle him, and THAT is a road to grief. This is an active and really smart bird who should not be let to suffer boredom. We did used to have a regular poster whose life was held ransom by her bird not being mentally challenged enough. The bird's method of complaint? NOISE. Lots of it. My cage is 5 feet long and about 3 feet high, interior, and I would like it to be double that TO START. I really did buy the biggest cage I could afford, but if I am able to pry loose enough money, I'd like to double it, long and high.

I don't know a lot about the activity level of the GCC, but I can say the Ringneck cage would automatically have to be bigger because it has to accommodate that big tail. Bird Channel .com reports the GCC at 10 inches, while the IRN is closer to 16 inches. I don't know about the noise level of the GCC either, but I can tell you I firmly believe it would be a mistake to keep an IRN in an apartment. I did meet a woman who kept an IRN in an apartment, and how she kept from being thrown out, I'll never know. She was trying to sell her bird.

Cuddly? Um, no; don't expect it. I am prepared to admit that if you are an exceptional trainer and maybe you have an exceptional bird, cuddling could happen. I wouldn't bet my lunch on it, though, even if I just had a tuna sandwich. I believe the IRN can learn to do anything physically possible for an IRN to do, if YOU are smart enough to teach it. Have you ever trained a cat?

Talking? Maybe. Maybe your bird will talk and maybe not. If it is critical you have an amazing talking bird, buy one who already says what you want to hear. I'm serious. Actually, that would go for any birds. Clowns? My birds are clowny when they are expressing their boyness in the nesting time of the year but not otherwise.

How are they as a pet? If cuddles are your thing, keep looking. If handing the bird things will keep you satisfied, you could be happy, so long as your bird accepts them. Some people have been quite successful trick training their Ringnecks, and you could probably be one of them if you are able and willing to put in the time and work.

As with so many other parrots, Ringnecks are generally loud, messy, and prone to pleasing themselves. Some chew simply everything. Some are mainly vocal at predictable times, and others never shut up. Their alarm call is loud and shrill enough to damage your hearing. Some people cannot stand to be in the same room as this noise, while others seem to have an easier time. The bite of a frightened Ringneck is not going to seriously injure you unless it gets infected, but once bitten, twice shy. It can make you bleed, and they may hang on. Even just a pinch may bruise you and leave your skin dented for a little bit. To make matters worse, once you upset your Ringneck so as to provoke a bite, you're going to step backwards in your training. Sigh. Don't give them a reason to bite.

Why would anyone keep one of these birds???? Well, for me, I saw them once upon a time, and I just felt they were for me. I followed this hunch up with a year's worth of research (taking an actual year). Then I shopped carefully and looked at a number of birds before settling on a 10 year old second hand male. I hit the jackpot, but while I was looking for a second bird. I got to realize how extremely lucky I got the first time. You will have to talk to others about getting a baby; I felt it was unethical FOR ME to buy a baby when there are so many in need of second or third or fourth homes. A common reason for an IRN to need a new home is that the people didn't realize what they were getting into and couldn't live happily with their bird. Noise is frequently the deal breaker. My local rescue asks $75 American for IRNS. Breeders ask multiples of that. Even rehomers ask plenty more. The lady who sold me my second IRN was asking hundreds of dollars, but she settled for my price because she was so desperate to get rid of a bird she couldn't handle. She replaced him with a baby. I hope he fared better. I suggest you volunteer with a Rescue to care for some Ringnecks so you can see first hand some of the pros and cons. They might also have some GCCs and then you could even compare. At the very least, go see some adult birds people are looking to rehome, especially the noisy ones. Be aware that a bird confined in a too small cage might be scared silent, but only temporarily.

You will find here some people handle their birds, others interact in different ways. Some play games, some talk back and forth, most seem to do training of some sort. I do a lot of pausing at my birds' cage, handing them stuff, talking to them, and tending the cage-keeping chores than don't seem ever to end. My #1 bird will usually step up, and it still about stops my heart when he flies to my wrist. My #2 bird isn't having any of that. I do a lot of tinkering with their environment and making them stuff. The biggest rush, for me, is having them out to fly around and play on their cage top jungle. It's very hard to get anything like consideration out of either one when they are out of the cage together. My #1 will about shove me off my own plate of food, but he won't let me touch him. When we touch, it's because he initiated that. It would be much easier at vet time if things were to develop a bit past this. I am utterly thrilled with both of my birds, but I think my bird goals and expectations may be significantly different from those of many others. I also think a year of study and consideration was time well spent.

I think that until you have a strong conviction about what species you prefer, you should keep doing research and introspection. Also, do extra research and learn about different kinds of birds. There are, I understand, some 300-ish parrot species commonly kept as pets. If you only know ten or twenty of them, you are seriously shortchanging yourself. It may be helpful to have an honest look at your preferences and lifestyle so you can commit to paper which traits in the potential pet would be desirable, which undesirable, which essential, and which deal breakers. You might turn up the perfect bird you never knew about, or prevent a disaster. You should certainly check out the Rescues and bird shows. Look on breeder sites and Hoobly to learn names of birds and then spend an afternoon at BirdChannel.com reading about them. Don't pick your bird by appearance alone -- remember that gorgeous hottie you were interested in who turned out to be a complete jerk when you got to know them? A word to the wise should suffice. If nothing else, remember the bird you get is the bird you get. Promises of the bird he could be may never pan out.
Thank you very much for this amazing reply! You have helped me realize that I do not have what it takes at this current moment in my life for a ringneck. Its unfortunate (for me) but fortunate for the bird that I found out now. Thanks again!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Best wishes for finding the species that matches your lifestyle! You know, if you should actually sit down and make that list of what you do and don't want in your potential bird, what you can and can't handle, you should still share it with this forum. MANY people keep more than one species and it could be someone knows just the perfect one for you. Another place to take this list is the parrot Rescues. They'll be impressed at your dedication to finding a suitable match, and they will have opinions on what birds you might like. They would probably love a volunteer as well, and you never know what that experience might help you learn.

Don't forget to ask lots and lots of people. You got two replies here, and it sounds like you don't have to look any further. I don't know what the IRN dealbreaker was for you, but I did try to present them in a realistic way. You can read other people's stories, here or at other forums, for a more well-rounded picture. People who find themselves compatible with keeping Ringnecks DO really love them.
-MissK