IRN

Moderator: Mods

Parrot boy

IRN

Post by Parrot boy »

My parrot hates me he is scared and bites me really hard and won't stop. Some one help please!!
SunniDai

Re: IRN

Post by SunniDai »

My first point of advice would be to keep your fingers out of biting range. Ringnecks are not, by nature, cuddly creatures. They are highly independent and if you remember that THEY own your house, you will get along much better. My baby, Sunni Dai, handraised, spoiled rotten, etc., still bites at me if I don't read her cues correctly. In fact, my husband does not ever offer her his hand to step up on, he offers his sleeved arm and she will gladly step up.
How long have you had your baby?
~Dana

Parrot boy

Post by Parrot boy »

I have had him 3 month he is about 6 months old
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

And what kinds of things do you do with him? I mean, what does a typical day look like for the two of you?
~Dana

Parrot boy

Post by Parrot boy »

Well I go to school on a morning then come home talk to him give he fresh food and water and fruit and try touch him but when he is at his stand I just flies back to his cage. Do no weather I should get some one to clip is wings?
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Wing clipping can be a very hot topic around here :lol:
I personally don't clip. There is something so beautiful about watching them fly around the house freely whenever the mood hits them. There is also the fact that if they are feeling threatened or scared, they can fly to what they see as a safer place. With four fids in the house, they can get in each others way on occasion. Which is why not clipping the wings works for us.
I had an incident with Sunni flying off into the neighbor's tree. I panicked and clipped her until I ordered a flight harness and now that she is used to the harness, I can take her out again without fear of her flying off.
I also find that they trust me more and don't fly off as much as they used to try to do by not clipping their wings.
It is a personal decision that must be made by every parront, but as I said, it can be a touchy thing. ;)
~Dana

SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Oh, and it will take some time to get him accustomed to you. Don't press him and take your cues from him. You will get to know his body language, but don't ignore the signs he sends you or he will bite and it will take longer for him to trust you.
~Dana

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

if he bites you it's because he doesn't like your hand... hands do things like... grab and contain... and for a prey animal that's a big deal... in the wild it means death and it's hard wired into them.... these are not cats or dogs who can be -made- to accept you.

in order for your bird to appreciate you there has to be something in it for him... like... treats... and more treats...
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Oh, and were treats mentioned? :wink:
~Dana

Parrot boy

Post by Parrot boy »

Thank you both. So should I just give it time or what.this is my first bird so I'm a bit lost :?:
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think you should stop trying to touch the bird. Make use of treats to show him you've got good stuff and you like to share. Let him get used to the idea of being close to you without worrying about getting touched. Let him learn to take food from your hand. Meanwhile, you take some time to learn his body language. Don't clip the wings. Put some small toys on his stand, and maybe tie them on a string so if he drops them he can reel them back up again. Tie a nice leaf or carrot on the stand so he has a nibble right there. Put your chair by the stand, talk to him sweetly, and do some homework. Carry on that way for a few weeks and get back to us with a progress report.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Parrot boy wrote:Thank you both. So should I just give it time or what.this is my first bird so I'm a bit lost :?:
it's not a cat or a dog ... those animals love being touched... indian ringnecks will not 'come around' to the concept of being touched... There has to be an extreme benefit to the bird.. beyond the value of being petted.

I have two indian ringnecks... one of them has never let me touch him other than his beak... the other will let me touch the side of his face but only under certain circumstances. When he was just a few months old i could pet him, pick him up, whatever i wanted. But now that he's something of an adult he doesn't go for it anymore.. It's simply in their nature to avoid it.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Don't take it personally. These are just not cuddly type animals. They are very independent, and has been mentioned, if they are touched it's because THEY have chosen to allow it to happen.
That being said, they are still fantastic companions.
~Dana