Female eating her babies !!!!

Moderator: Mods

JudithMaryna

Female eating her babies !!!!

Post by JudithMaryna »

I have a problem with my female ringneck, she ate her babies the previous breeding season, how can I prevent that she does the same this season? and why does she do it?????
Wessel Gordon

Re: Female eating her babies !!!!

Post by Wessel Gordon »

JudithMaryna

First off: I am NOT an experienced breeder and only separated my first pair of for breeding purposes a few weeks ago so I'm not really an expert.

I am not sure why a female would eat her own babies but if it happened with one of my females I would remove her nestbox.

Can you please describe in more detail at what age and where she kills them? Are you sure it's the female and not the male? How old is the male and female?

I know it is disturbing to have to describe it but if we know more about the exact circumstances one of the more experienced breeders might be able to help.

So to sum up: If at all possible stop her from laying eggs for at least one season till you have figured out why she kills them off and if she does lay eggs remove the eggs this season.

If you feel you have to let her have babies you might have to pull the babies from the nest at a young age and handrear them which is a daunting task even if you have done it before and you risk losing the babies even while you handrear them if something goes wrong.

Kind regards,

Wessel