Foot Toys

Moderator: Mods

sanjays mummi

Foot Toys

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has had limited interest in foot toys up to now, but today I hit on a winner. I found a pack of cat balls in a shop, little plastic cage type balls with a bell inside, and he loves them. So far he has played footie, carried one all over the place, and scored a hit by dropping it on my head. A very busy afternoon a play time.
Donovan

Re: Foot Toys

Post by Donovan »

If you squeeze the sides they spread out enough you can put an almond or something inside.

I gave that toy my seal of approval on another toy thread. Definitely a winner for my birds also
MissK

Post by MissK »

Such a cat toy was Rocky's first love here at my house. Call it his Girlfriend.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Hey.. haha.. this very toy..
I have a number of them. The other day I had stuffed one full of peanuts and almonds. Well, it ended up on the floor for several hours.
Later, I picked it up and gave it to my bird to give him something to do (forage nuts out if it). As I handed it to him I suddenly realized it was crawling with little sugar ants. Before I could react to it the bird took it and flew off with it.

Next thing I knew he dropped it and was shaking his head around and scratching his face... haha.. I felt like such an **** for giving him that. I don't think he got bitten or anything since he had it under 10 seconds.

Anyway.. now i realize ants have infiltrated the house and seem to love the bottom of the bird cages. This means daily cleaning :(

Anyone for hire for cage cleaning duties??
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I'm glad he didn't get bitten, and I hope the experience hasn't put him off playing with it.
jenica1026

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi all,

I am not sure what kind of cat toy you are talking about that will open up as pressed so you can make it a foraging toy - can someone post a website where you can find this toy? Or any of these other toys that you are saying your IRNs like.

I know the typically cat toys with bells like this - http://www.pearls.org.uk/4-x-classic-ca ... t-61-p.asp or http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cats-lov ... 80267.html (scroll pictures underneath to see some more cat bell toys) or http://www.personalised-pet-products.co ... rixie-4099 (this later version I took the drum like toys and flexible drinking straws and cut of about an 1" towards the flex end of the straw and then flexing it like a shepherd's crook I inserted two straws (separately) on each spoke wrapping the straw around the spoke and tying once the straw to the spoke and this can be a foot toy or hung on a play stand (I wouldn't put it in their cage as they string could be used to hang the bird) and mine IRNs sit above the toy and pull it up to themselves and chew on the straws.

I found this ball http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Pink-Gr ... 0803055247 at Dollar Tree and I got 2 for a dollar (I think) even if it was one for a dollar it was worth it - it's a great toy once I put straws and popsicle sticks in it for them to play with.- if you click on the picture it will become bigger and hopefully you can see how I can take half cut drinking straws and I put 2 through the top side to side one way and then 2 the other way and then I take (I think) 11 half straws and put them diagonally around from top to bottom holes. Then I take 6 popsicles sticks and put them in behind the straws (3 on the top and 3 on the bottom) around the top and bottom stagger top and bottom and then I run a string in it (maybe I do the string first) and hang it or you can just use it as a foot toy. They love it!

Another great toy is what I call an octopus - I use a small wiffle ball and string hemp string in it - makes like 30 legs depending on your wiffle ball. I then string cut drinking straws and pony beads on each leg and knot the end of each string and my birds love sitting on top of their play stands pulling it up (or if it's in the cage) and chewing on it. It takes awhile to create it but with as many legs, they can chew for a long time on it and they do - I, also, put a piece of hemp through the call to hand it and I do it in such a way that I can turn the ball upside down (so that the inside legs are exposed) as the other legs get pretty nasty and I have further life to this toy - I hope all this helps. Oh, someone at another website suggested taking a ring (I am assuming like a plastic curtain rod ring that doesn't open - just a ring and larkhead knot (folding the string in half) to the ring and then do as I have done with the wiffle ball. This shows what I am talking about: The octopus is like this http://www.cheepparrottoysntips.com/leather.html see Greengard's Mr. Leather toy and if the stings were longer and then all you do is slip on pieces of drinking straws inter mixed with pony beads and knot the ends or someone used a curtain ring and larkhead knot the center of the strings and put the straws and pony beads on like you see here http://www.cheepparrottoysntips.com/quik1.html see Delta's straw toy.

Lastly, I just give them drinking straws cut in half and they love these as foot toys - they will fold them and chew on them for awhile.

I love to watch them play so I hope you all have more toy ideas. Jan
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

nice post.. i should really look into more homemade toys myself.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Jan,
you are like a foot toy connoissuer! I think the most complex one I've made is a couple wooden beads on a piece of leather.
One favourite with my birds are pill boxes like these http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--122963 ... _x_4_Cases
I add treats in some compartments and then wrap it in paper.
jenica1026

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi Intheair,

What a great idea of the pill container. I will have to try this. Thanks Jan
MissK

Post by MissK »

I like the idea of a pill box AND a drinking straw.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:I like the idea of a pill box AND a drinking straw.
And a bottle of wine? :mrgreen:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh yeah, that too.
-MissK