Indian ring neck loosing feathers

Moderator: Mods

marnasherees

Indian ring neck loosing feathers

Post by marnasherees »

hi my female ring neck is loosing feathers round legs under her wings and by her tummy she keep biting it
. I have put some lice powder but not helping is it just nomal and will take couple of months or do
i start worrying?
Donovan

Re: Indian ring neck loosing feathers

Post by Donovan »

How old is the bird, and can you post a picture?
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Just a cautionary note: I personally wouldn't put lice powder on her. Remember...anything you put on her, she will eat.
Have you tried bathing her? Her skin may be dry and flaky and giving her bathing opportunities might help a bit.
Dana
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

I think you should spin by the avian vet to have her examined for sign of irritation/infestation/injury. If she's biting at herself, something is clearly bothering her. If there is something you can fix, you should rush to do so before the biting becomes a habit that may persist after the original cause is resolved.
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

This just in- I read something by Margaret Wissmann DVM, an article about seeing small birds in veterinary practice. Specifically in Cockatiels and Budgies, she names Giardia and Hexamita as possible frequent cause for plucking in the following areas: "The pattern of plucking is usually under the wings, along the humerus, (leaving the remiges), the insides of the thighs and perhaps the chest or lower abdomen. Primarily, the coverts and contours are removed, but not primary remiges or retrices." If this is the cause of the problem she recommends treating the bird and also changing to a water bottle (as these protazoa live in water).

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/budgietiel.html
-MissK