putting a brand new bird in its cage for the first time

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

putting a brand new bird in its cage for the first time

Post by Donovan »

I'm about to get another bird. Sadly I had to settle for a lutino.. the one color I didn't really want, but I want a partner for my current bird more than I care about appearance..

Anyway.. I'll be bringing him home in a small pet carrier.. he has a brand new cage waiting for him when he gets here... But i'm curious about how to transition the bird from the carrier to the cage.

I don't want to scare him to death by suddenly reaching into the carrier and snatching him up... could there be another way?.. Or should I just do it quick and get it over with as soon as possible.
clawnz

Re: putting a brand new bird in its cage for the first time

Post by clawnz »

As long as you do it in a calm manner it should not be that bad for the bird.
Use a towel and get hold of it as gently as possible and make the transition.
It is likely the bird will be happy to be out of the carrier if it is not used to being closed up. And that will also work in your favor.
And remember to set up the cage before hand. And once you have made the transfer sit and talk quietly to it.

Sorry I do not know an easier way. Unless you have a huge cage and can put the carrier in it and just open the door.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

And might I add that lutinos are beautiful :wink:
Dana
~Dana

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

yes I have a theory that it's going to turn out to be an amazing bird .. simply because it was my last choice
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

We just held the open doors together and Sapphire hopped into the big cage.
MissK

Post by MissK »

When I got Rocky I had to transfer him from his cage in the old home to his travel cage for the trip to my house. The two cages were the same size, which is one reason I refused to buy that piece of trash. I lined up the doors and he was understandably reluctant to move. I ended up jiggling the perch he was standing on and it fell, which spooked him right into the travel cage. NOT ideal, but he displayed no ill will over it. You know, being as he's perfect, and all........ Once home I let him sleep in the carrier and took him in it to the vet next day. After that I just let him out and since he didn't know he could fly it was relatively easy to towel him to go into the big cage from the floor.

In your spot, I would try and line up the doors, maybe, and put some of whatever the breeder says he likes in easy view in the target area.

Talking about being your last choice of colour and all, I hear you, but in six months it won't matter. You'll wonder how you didn't appreciate that colour before. Promise. Once you get to know him you will see with your heart. I didn't want green, originally, but the individual bird I wanted happened to be green. I look at him now and I think, good god, he's *gorgeous*! I can't think of a single colour Ringnecks come in that looks as good as green. :lol:
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I wanted green but apparently the mad scientists have gotten so caught up in their genetic experiments that the forgot about regular ol green :P

Anyway, as far as getting the bird into the big cage i'll look at lining up the doors and rigging up something he can just walk onto. First i'll check if he'll willingly step up. It might be easier than i'm expecting since I know he's been worked with quite a bit already
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

I am sure you have considered asking what his favourite food/treats/toys are and ensuring they are in plain view in the new cage so he can see them from the travel cage. Perhaps he has a current favourite toy they will give you?
Mary
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Well it worked out pretty well.. Got the bird home. He was a little nervous and didn't want to step up onto my hand, and was unwilling to walk out of the carrier, but was very comfortable when I picked him up.

I fed him and he went straight to the food and has been making some happy noises in the hour i've had him home. I spoke to him and he responded with some baby bird noise.. He has taken a pellet from my fingers through the cage and has let me touch his face through the bars also. He spent a long time eating. I don't know if they made him hungry before the trip or if he was just kinda scared.

I think I may have just scored a good bird.

clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Sounds great. I hope you have a great time with your new bird.
It's great when they start to eat right away. Sometimes it takes a day or two. SO yes I think he is comfortable enough, and happy to be with you.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

not only did he eat right away.. i had to take his food away... i suppose the excessive eating was his way of responding to the stress of being moved...

on the bright side he ate a healthy helping of romaine lettuce, collard greens, and radishes. He didn't seem to care for cauliflower though.
Last edited by Donovan on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

So happy for you Donovan. And he is a beautiful bird! Sounds like you two are starting a wonderful life together. How has your other bird reacted?
Mary
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

To conclude this thread.. I have to say putting a new bird in its new cage is simply a matter of how the bird itself chooses to be dealt with...

I now have 2 birds.. my first bird came with a cage so I didn't have to handle him.. this new bird seemed to prefer actually being picked up (weirdo)

another bird may prefer having its travel cage opened and be allowed to walk into his new cage on his own.

So, if you get a new bird and want to know how to transfer it from its travel cage to its new home.... i would .. test the waters... stepping up on your finger is best but many IRNs won't go for that.

hold the carrier/travel cage open at the opening of the cage and see if it walks on in...if you can set it somewhere that you don't have to hold it the whole time then just roll with it
otherwise give it about 5 minutes and if he doesn't walk in on his own then try to get him on your finger... if that doesn't work just grab him.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Donovan, congratulations on your great new bird!! Well done!
-MissK