broken leg help

Moderator: Mods

Jetography

broken leg help

Post by Jetography »

It's been a while since I posted here but I figured I'd reach out to other ringneck owners.

My ringneck broker her leg early in the week. I took her to the vet and she had it splinted and taped which she chewed up in no time. So back to the vet for another tape job an e-collar. The e-collar was horrible. The first attempt they put the collar facing down and Cody went nuts and ended up cutting her wings on it. So 2nd attempt they had it facing up around her face. Well the e-collar seems so big where Cody can't even keep her head up and she just rolls around to move. I got tired of watching her and took it off.

Are there any alternatives to this e-collar?

Right now I am just putting bitter solution on the tape on the leg but I have to constantly reapply it. Are there any other solutions?

Thanks.
zentoucan

Re: broken leg help

Post by zentoucan »

there is a fibreglass type of cast that is used on humans. one of my sons broke his arm and the hospital use this fibreglass cast, it's extremely strong and water resistant. but it's expensive compared to tape and I don't know if vets use it.
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

have you tried the anti plucking spray
Buddy4us

Post by Buddy4us »

Hey Jetography did the leg recover? Buddy broke his leg as well our vet gave him an injection and wrapped his leg with Elastoplast which did not hold at all. The leg still turns and he walks on his top part op the leg with his paw tucked in. Do you maybe by any chance have a photo of the splint so we can try and help him? He does not feel any pain (or makes a sound) when we move it around or pull it slightly.
Born: 6 October 2014 South Africa
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Those Elizabethan collars are a pain aren't they? We used Baskerville muzzles on our dogs instead. Ideally you need a chew proof dressing, failing that, a bitter spray as someone has already suggested. I have often thought how badly designed birds are, spindly little legs yet quite a large body by comparison,the feet are just about the right size tho'.