Our new friend

Moderator: Mods

shugoobs

Our new friend

Post by shugoobs »

Hello,

I am new here and new to IRNs, assuming that's what she is.

We live in Dubai and have a large, open terrace at our home. One day, a beautiful bird flew onto our terrace and sat for a while. She came back a couple of times and I put some fruit out. Once I put the fruit out, that was it. She has adopted us, even sleeping on our terrace. She does not have her wings clipped and can fly away whenever she chooses, but she doesn't fly away for very long. She will sit with us out there and will call to us if we go inside. She seems to have fallen for my husband and will pick at the tag on his shirt while he's sitting out on the terrace. I don't know if she's wild or if she's a pet, but she seems very comfortable around us. I'm also new to the middle east, so I'm not sure if clipping the wings is a standard practice here like it is in the states. In the states, one would assume that a bird without clipped wings is not a pet, although I think the practice is cruel.

On to my question... I have researched how and what to feed her, so I'm good with that, but I don't know what type of "bedding" or perch to provide for her. I don't want to confine her to a cage, and am perfectly fine with her residing freely on our terrace. I've often seen her shivering, but I'm not sure how to help keep her warm. Especially at night.

Any advice for a newbie, such as myself, would be very much appreciated. Oh, and what type of toys will she enjoy so she stops trying to pick apart my porch furniture!

I should mention that she looks identical to the pictures on this website, but the ring is just a subtle shade of darker green, very difficult to see if you're not looking. I can't figure out how to post a picture on here yet.
Thanks!
InTheAir

Re: Our new friend

Post by InTheAir »

Hi there,

What a sweet story. I'd think she would be a lost pet, being so tame.

If she's living semi free outside clipping her wings would put her in danger of being eaten by predators. Definitely don't! flighted birds are great fun anyway.
As for perches, if you don't have anywhere to attach a perch maybe something like this would suit http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... play+stand Load it up with toys and it should keep her amused for a while.
If you search the forum you'll find other peoples perches and play stands/ gyms with different bases.

I don't know about the shivering, maybe you could convince her to sleep in a draught free area or the house on a play stand or swing. I'm sure someone elsr will have some suggestions.

You have to be a member for a certain amount of time and make 10 posts (I think). There are instructions on how to post photos somewhere here. ....

Regards,
Claire
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

Hi Claire,
Thanks so much for your reply! Definitely would never have her wings clipped...one of the most beautiful things about her is her freedom.
To keep her warm at night, we were thinking of looking for a cage, with a perch, keeping it mostly covered, but keeping the door open. Not sure if she'd go in there or not, but it may be worth a try.
I'll check out the forum a bit more and see what other people do.
Thanks again for the info.
Michele
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

My guys are house birds, Nila doesn't even like sitting outside in his cage very much!
She might like having a cozy cage to sleep in, it's worth a try.
Are there any snakes or other nocturnal predators over there that could corner her if she's in a cage sleeping?

Btw does she have a name?
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

No predators that we're aware of. We're in a flat on the 7th floor, with a very large terrace that she has now made her home. She's such a love and I want to be sure that I give her whatever she needs
MissK

Post by MissK »

How frustrating; I just lost my post. Try again.

1) Sweet story. I think you should try with due diligence to discover any missing bird advertisements, but failing that, you've got a bird.

2) I think you should work to get your bird reacquainted with cage living. Unless you're able to tell the future and you know you'll be living in that 7th floor apartment with the lovely terrace in Dubai forever, you should prepare your bird for the eventuality of caged living. You would not just roll out and leave her on the terrace, would you? Of course not. You would take her or rehome her. She would need caged living skills for that. Do it now, while she may still remember what it is to live in a cage. If she lives cage free too long, she will lose the skill. It is very hard on everyone to take a free-range bird and stick it in a cage all day. Prepare her now while you can work at leisure.

3) If you put a nice cage on the terrace, she can use it as a bird stand when you are not there, and play inside it when you are. I would not leave her outside caged alone, nor would I leave her free with the door open, due to possible snakes or birds of prey trapping her in there. Also, if she knows that's her cage, she may leave your other stuff alone.

4) Toys - could be anything. She is likely to appreciate little foot toys with different shapes and textures - plastic jug caps, seashells, wooden blocks, plastic rings, beads, cat toy balls, knots made of dried grass, twigs, pieces of natural rope, cardboard, paper. Give her a nut wrapped up in paper for a foraging toy. Give her a bowl to put stuff in. Hang up a rope for her to climb. Spring for a potted tree for your terrace, but choose one safe for her to chew on.

5) Try calling her "pretty bird" however they say that in Dubai. She might answer! And give her a name. She deserves a name. Teach her to fly to you on command. Give her a bath. Teach her a trick - maybe to put a toy in your husband's shirt pocket (wouldn't that be cute!).

6) Wings - I think clipping is on borrowed time in the USA. More and more people are trending towards animal rights and taking note that certain traditional practices here (wing clipping, dog ear and tail docking, cat declawing) are frowned upon or actually illegal in some other countries. I'm glad you don't want to clip your bird, but if you did, you would be forced to bring her inside to live.

I wish you the very best with your new little friend!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hallo Michele, welcome
Could the shivering be a nervous twitch? She must be unsure of her suroundings.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Shivering can be nervousness or it can be a chill. Guess the thermometer in Dubai would suggest which.
-MissK
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

Miss K,

Thank you thank you thank you!! You have given us some wonderful ideas.

We've been asking around about lost birds, to no avail. I am going to put it on Dubai's version of Craigslist (in the states), but as you said, short of that, we've got ourselves a bird!

It's just so hard to say whether she's a wild bird or not. They are indigenous to this part of the world (sort of). I have to assume she's a lost pet though. It's our plan to get her a cage for outside and just leave the door open. It'll be interesting to see what she thinks of it -- is it a foreign concept to her or does she seem familiar with it... that will be very telling.

We have found all sorts of wonderfully funny things that she likes to play with -- paper towel rolls, a ball of string, etc. -- but the things she seems MOST interested in are whatever we have in our hands -- a bag, a coffee mug, etc. You've given me some great ideas for toys that we may have around the house. She's just so much fun.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Oh, by the way, her name is Kermit! And we call her "Kermit the pretty bird" all the time.

Michele
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Leaves me wondering what the K in MissK stands for?
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

She now has a cage, which she has not yet gone into, but doesn't seem to be wary of. We've put her toys on and in it, so now the cage is part of a new game... drop the toy off the cage and wait for us to pick it up. I can't get over what a big personality she has. She really wants to be around us and doesn't like it when we leave the porch. She's also very funny (and feisty) when she gets frustrated at a toy -- pecking and growling at it. I'm guessing that we will slowly introduce her to the house. I also can't believe how quickly she learns! I've read on this site that they do talk, but no words so far. I'm always sure to talk to her and I use the same phrases over and over.
Good grief... I sound like a gushing new parent!!
MissK

Post by MissK »

HAHAHAHA! We're OK with that!

I bet if you go sit in the house and leave the door open she may well come right in. I think a wild bird would not be so hung up on being near you. Witness how many people here have a bird who they say will take the food but wants nothing to do with them. That's more wild than your little pal. I'm sure somebody was not careful with their pet, or just decided to giver freedom, and that's how she came to you - looking for familiar ground and friendly people.

I'm so glad you got her a cage and toys. :D Give her a dish of fruit inside the cage, door wide open. Do it every day, while you are there to watch her back.

The best time to really know if your bird has words is bedtime. Many birds talk to themselves when they are alone and preparing for a nap. If she sleeps on your terrace, try sitting out with her as the light fades, to hear what she might be saying.

AJ~ Ya got me; It's "Kermit"!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well well well, MissK fancy that but you are MissK, and will always stay in my affection as MissK, not to worry l won't tell anyone maybe two or three!