I need so advice on getting a male .

Moderator: Mods

BrendaDup

I need so advice on getting a male .

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi, I have had a female age approx. 3 years old (willow) since July 2012 and she is doing great . I have a friend who lives in FL and has offered to give me her male who is less then a year old if I pay to get him to me in KY , I do not want to breed them , just to have them as pets in different cages but I have had someone tell me it will change Willow . I really want him , but I do not want it to change my relationship with her. I have come so far with her ,I am now able to pick her up and she will not bite me. she is still obsessed with her own reflection if she can see it , she now has a new cage (a castle) got such a great price on it so I could not pass it up she loves it, but has now found her reflection in the door latch and I have her food bowls to still rough up the shinny finish on . anyway I really would like some more opinions on what to do about getting the male and also what is the best airline in the states to use for this if I do decide to get him?
ellieelectrons

Re: I need so advice on getting a male .

Post by ellieelectrons »

If you decide to get a male, you need to be prepared for the fact that they may not get along. Hopefully they will but you never know. What will you do if they don't get along? Do you know why your friend wants to give you the bird? It's good to know any bad points about the bird before you take him on. Have you met the bird before? Did he like you?

When you first introduce them, it is best to do it slowly. Start with having them in separate rooms and gradually move their cages closer. There are other threads on how to do introductions. Might be worth a search.

If you do get a male, you need to be aware that this increases the likelihood that your female will display nesting behaviours during breeding season which can be extremely difficult to deal with (Example. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=14905), although not everyone has the same experiences.

Regarding, changing your relationship with your bird, providing you spend time with your bird, I don't think it will change too much. Like you, I started with a female and got a male a little later and both birds are tame and like me and we do trick training.

Best wishes for your decision.

Ellie.

P.S. Your girl is getting to an age where she may exhibit nesting behaviour even if there isn't a male (Example. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=18480)