HELP PLEASE

Moderator: Mods

Racheal

HELP PLEASE

Post by Racheal »

Hello Everyone,

I rescued a Baby IRN about 4 weeks ago now, when I got him he had hes feather missing All hes tail feather an some on both wing, SO he/she Cant fly at all due to the missing feathers

Iv taken him to my bird vet
they say he has stress bands on hes beak and they gave him a long acting antibiotic due to he has a bit of a runny nose he sneeze some times,
the vet wants to have him tested for PBFD
I know if hes test positive for PBFD I wont be able to get another bird, I don't mind about that,

so my question is dose anyone on her have/had IRN or other type of birds that's had PBFD?
can they live a happy life with it? ect
AJPeter

Re: HELP PLEASE

Post by AJPeter »

I am afraid l cannot help you but some one will be along shortly and they will be able to answer your question.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Rachael,

The most important question is "Are you seeing a certified avian vet?" You need to ask, because there are vets who will see your bird, and even advertise that they see birds, but are not really the right vet for your bird. Find out before you go any further.

Regarding living with PBFD, not really, no. PBFD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittacine ... er_disease and http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=3135) is a devastating disease. There is no cure. If your bird has this, I think it likely that you will be putting him to sleep. Because he's a baby, it might be best to consider just recycling his little soul immediately rather than letting him fight that losing battle.

But, he might not have that disease. If it were my bird, a lot would depend on the result, so I would get that test, but I would also insist on a real bird vet. My avian vet feels the chance of PBFD in a Ringneck is not very high, but certainly, it's not impossible, especially if there is a bad situation at the breeder's aviary. There are other circumstances that could cause feather loss (such as plucking by the parents) and the beak not looking right (such as a poor diet or birth defect). I'm not a vet, so I cannot assess the likelihood of any of these conditions.

Bottom line, I would make sure of working with the proper vet first, and then get the test. Expect to spend some money. Are we sure the bird is not going through a hard moult? I understand the young ones can look pretty ragged sometimes. Got any photos you can share?
-MissK
Racheal

Post by Racheal »

Hi, Yes its Melbourne Bird Veterinary Clinic so they are a certified avian vet, So hes getting tested next week
Hes wings and tail pin feathers are there u can see them coming in but some of the quills look bent that's why the vet thinks it PBFD, I was thinking it was due to being plucked by others/ mum dad.....
I don't know WHAT happened before I got him but If I could upload pics you can seen the difference in the 4 or so weeks now that I have had him
I cant upload pics I don't know how!!!!
I can email them if that could help
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rachael, I move at glacial speed on posting photos. Get yourself a photo hosting site and make five more posts here, and you'll be good to post your own. Have you had a look at the parents of this baby, or seen where he came from? Is the baby a rambunctious one, possibly messing up his feathers due to activity?

I think one of your breeders should chime in here.
-MissK
Racheal

Post by Racheal »

hes a active happy boy/girl but not that crazy to damage feathers ,
Well about the breeder I would LOVE to give him a bullet Sorry to be blunt and rude But I got this little guy for free Due to they COULDNT SELL him with missing feather and called him a freak so I got him for free

so I don't know NOTHING about hes parents but I have found out since that is guy only breeds for the money so im guessing they are not kept in the best conditions
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Gosh, that sounds not very good. I'm sorry.

How long have you had your little one?

I hope it turns out to be something else, but the chances sound slim.
The other issue with trying to keep a pbfd bird alive is that the disease is pretty contagious. You're vet will have a better idea than I do, but I'm thinking your clothing will easily hold the spore thingies after you have been playing with your bird, which could effectively make you a carrier. .. I'd be checking with my vet about that if the disease is confirmed.

Good luck with the appointment!

Regards,
Claire
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

What a cliff hanger, or leg pull?