I don't know what to do

Moderator: Mods

Damien.Ashby

I don't know what to do

Post by Damien.Ashby »

Last year I bought a white Indian Ringneck, but I don't know how old it is or gender. Can anyone help me?
taywer321

Re: I don't know what to do

Post by taywer321 »

First the bird will need to be dna tested to determine gender... If the bird is male then he will develop rings.. (if he hasn't yet then he's probably less than 1-2 years)
Damien.Ashby

Post by Damien.Ashby »

But to me, my Indian Ringneck looks fully grown. He/She has all it's feathers, it's beak is bright red and it's tail is really long. But it hasn't got it's ring yet.
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

The quickest way to find out is through DNA testing. If you don't want to do that, then time will tell. If your bird never develops a ring, then it is female.
Damien.Ashby

Post by Damien.Ashby »

I think my IRN is a male, as it just tried mating with my Red-Rumped Parakeet. :lol:
Damien.Ashby

Post by Damien.Ashby »

I also have another problem, the bluffing stage has lasted nearly a year. :?
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

When you first get to Indianringneck.com, at the top there are tabs. Click the "Articles" tab to read about juvenile bluffing and how to deal with it.
Damien.Ashby

Post by Damien.Ashby »

I've read them and done everything it said but it's still not working :?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Btw albino ring necks do not get a neck ring. From what I hear it sounds as if you have a boy in your hands. To be sure have it clinically sexed.
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

Does the bird "display" with heart shaped wings?? I have heard only the males do this. And it is a good idea to have the bird dna sexed.
About the bluffing, it could be puberty or a surge of hormones. Work with the bird patiently every day and give him some time. I've heard bluffing is terrible... I haven't seen any of that with my bird yet and he's almost over 8 months old so I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this birdy behavior :-( Wish I could help more! Good luck.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Females can display as well. The only sure way to know is DNA or Surgical sexing. Unless it lays an egg of coarse. Did you by any chance happen to know what colour the parents were? If its an Albino sometimes you can nest sex them depending on what the parents are.