dogs with birds?

Moderator: Mods

xx_sheena_xx

dogs with birds?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I was wondering if there is any way to see if your dog would get along with your birds.
I have a labrador who has just been desexed so she isnt aloud outside for 2 weeks, and mum thought maybe i could have my birds out while she is in the room?
has anyone done this?
how would you see if this worked?
at the moment i have been trying her up while i have my birds out so she cant eat everything in our house, is it better to keep doing this than to try and see if she can be out with the birds?
little_lena

Re: dogs with birds?

Post by little_lena »

Hi There.
I would say that the answer to your question primarily relies on the temperment of your Lab. If she is young, and a bit crazy there is a chance that she may accidently harm one of your birds in excitement. How does she react to them when they are in there cage? I also have a beautiful Lab, and he and my parrot, Lena, get along fine. He is a very docile dog though. He's happy for her to ride along on his back and to be honest, she's the one who bullies him by pecking his feet all the time! Maybe you could monitor your dogs behaviour towards the birds while they are in the cage or if you're holding them securely. If you feel she will get too excitable it might be best to keep them separate untill she settles down a bit!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

the stiches are out now so she is aloud back outside
she is a crazy dog but very relaxed and calm when she is inside
i have her in the same room when my birds where out, i had her on a lead so i could control her if i needed to, and she was terrified of my birds lol, she lay on the floor crying
LadyKeet

Post by LadyKeet »

I am new to IRN's. My baby is only 3 months old. I've had him for just over 2 weeks and he's great with my four Shelties. They are calm and cautious when he is loose. They occasionally try to sniff his tail when he is on their level. I would make sure your dog is calm around your birds before letting them loose together. Also I would make sure your dog has an excellent response to a "leave it" command.

Cheryl & Jedi, the IRN
Shelties: Connor, Mwyn, Banner & Mila
Cat: Melinki
Pennsylvania, USA
Cheryl Butchko
IRN: Jedi
Shelties: Connor, Mwyn, Banner, Mila
Cat: Melinki
and 2 goldfish
Pennsylvania, USA