talking ability

Moderator: Mods

xx_sheena_xx

talking ability

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

im wondering if male or females have different talking ability
is it easier to teach males or females to talk?
if you go on youtube and look for talking IRN's they all seem to be males
how old are they when they usually start talking?
and what are words they learn quickly?
pinkdevil

Re: talking ability

Post by pinkdevil »

I raised a little girl who is now with my partners parents. She says a lot of words and phrases.
From memory she began talking around 12 months, maybe a bit younger.
I think her first word was 'hello', followed by 'what ya doin'.'

People appear to prefer male ringies to the females as hens seem to have a worse reputation plus some people prefer their bird to have the black ring.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

thanks
i guess if depends on the bird then and what noises they make
my dad has a male IRN that makes lots of IRN noiseys compaired to mine who only make a screaming noise.
my hand raised IRN is a girl, i think, and she makes lots of different IRN noises
julie

Post by julie »

one of my aviary hens talks :) she hears my neighbour yapping away all day.
I think they pick up on certain pitches to things as well as things they hear really often like Hello,come here,step up ect.
If you say things like hey sexy regularly they would pick it up.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Sheena

One of the myths listed on the info part of this site is that males are better talkers than female's and if you work with them both they should be the same.

Mine has started saying 'whatcha doing' and 'c'mon'. He is only 8 months old, and started about a month ago. So it probably depends on each bird.

Regards

Shane
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

thanks guys :)
i dont really care if she talks but it would be cool
my conure says hello and come here but im the only one who can understand her :lol:
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

My girl, Bullet, is talking now. She just turned one year. She says Hello, Hello Pretty Bird, Pretty Bird, Big Bird, Bullet Bird, and Hello Big Bird. So, females do talk.

I just about fell out of my chair the first time she spoke. Now she talks all the time.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
laine

Post by laine »

Hi, Smokey is 4 1/2 years old male. His "talking" is not very clear as he tends to copy my tones rather than pronounce clear words. I have tried very hard to get him to talk well but it hasn't happened. The only words he says properly are 'Pretty bird' and calling out for my partner Brett he says 'Breeeeet' very well. (in a Kath & Kim kind of tone - it's hilarious)
Anyway he says lots of other stuff that I have taught him but only I really know what he's saying eg, hello, come on, What the!! What you doin', Love you, Pleeeeeease, and just lately he says " i Know" I really let off at the end of a hard day and he keeps consoles me with "i know" "i know".
Whilst his speech is not clear, he understrands everything I say and responds to many commands. When I can't find him (and sometimes he is just camoflaged in the surroundings) I call out 'where are you' and he will squawk back or fly to me to reveal himself. Same goes if i leave the room and he doesn't know where I am, he will just cry out till I call back and then he comes to me. My bond with him is extremely special and no amount of words can match it. It would be awsome if everyone could understand what he says but I really don't care because of this special bond we have.
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

My little Zazu is a boy and he is out of control with talking. we have him in our living room where we are all the time and he is 14 month now and says lots of thing but off the top of my head says,

hiii
Hello
step up
kiss kiss (then makes a kissing sound)
come here
I love You
Go home
no thanks
I said NO THANKS!
what are you doing
how are you doing

There's more...I'm just blank right now. Plus he makes some clicking sounds and others.

He started @ 7 months with no training. we just have him listening to us all day. Sounds like it is all in the bird as far as who talks best. personality I guess. And he is in a one bird family.

I am gonna record him talking to his love, the computer mouse or my husbands BIG toe. :lol:

The other day my daughter went to pet him and he said, No Thanks.
I told he to do it again and he moved his head and said, I said NO THANKS! It was hilarious
Allie
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I thikn you are right about it just depends on the bird. I haven't purposefully said those things to Bullet, she just started talking one day. We just brought a new baby IRN into the family, and maybe that just got her going. I don't know. I do now, the day she started talking, I just about fell out of my seat because I wasn't really trying to teach her to talk. What a nice surprise. :o :P
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)