The darn corn.

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

The darn corn.

Post by ranechild »

I need a vacuum cleaner that will pick up the dried pieces of corn off the carpet. And the lentils. And can get these things away from the baseboard and the feet of the bird cage without me having to bend down or get on my hands and knees. One that is battery operated might be awesome so I don't have to bend down to plug it in.

I have been looking at the battery operated dyson vacuums. I like all the features except that you cannot take the head off. But not being able to take off the brush head thing won't matter if it can pick up a dried lentil or piece of corn off the floor. Like right off the floor... not flick it backwards 3 feet where I just vacuumed so that I have to do 30 passes over the same 3 square feet of carpet!

Anyone have recommendations? I'm about ready to buy the dyson, try it, and return it if it cannot do corn.
MissK

Re: The darn corn.

Post by MissK »

I can see this happening....

"I'd like to return this Dyson, please."

"Reason for return, please?"

"It won't do Corn."

Ranechild, how do you feel about Dachshunds? They do corn....... :lol:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have a 1900watt Hoover that does corn, it is bagless and cost £100, Dyson are very expensive, how many watts in a Dachshund Missk? Billie likes to eat on top of her cage and drops all the bits onto my carpet, so l put newspapers down around her cage, but even so when you go up close for a kiss and step on a half eaten cooked pea pod l feel like wringing someone's neck.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

OH the split peas stuck to the bottom of my feet!!!

I have found a MUCH better solution to buying a new vacuum cleaner. Change the bird food.

Fats would dig through his food and splash it everywhere in order to pick out the safflour seeds. I know that's what he has been doing. This is the main reason there have been corn and lentils on my floor--thus the main reason I wanted a new vacuum cleaner. The other reason being that his pellets (Zupreem) were too big. I switched his pellets to the tinier kind and has seen an improvement.
I went to the really good bird store this weekend and asked about bulk bird food. Since we have 4 birds now and have gone through 8 lbs of seed in less than 3 weeks, I have been interested in getting alot of food... I looked on the internet last week and didn't feel good about buying it that way. I mentioned that safflour was the most loved part of the mix we use now---the store owner recommended Higgins Safflour Gold. It it primarily safflour seeds with dried carrots and other veggies, some dried fruit, whole almonds, a few peanuts, pumpkin seeds, buckwheat, dried green peas, a very few kernels of corn... lovely. I can get a picture if you guys are interested. I bought 25 lbs. I can already see this is the answer to my prayers. Day 2 after a thorough vacuuming of the floor and there is no new corn on it--since there's no corn to spill on it. No piles of wasted seed on the bottom of the cage. The food will be wasted less this way and thus will last longer. I have more of it, and it cost half the price. Score!!!!
I put the extra food in freezer. It shoudl keep a long time like that :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Super extra score! -Although I have to point out that a Dachshund would not only pick up the corn and lentils, the corn and lentils would fuel the Dachshund........... Just sayin'! :D

I'm all super excited today because I saw a wild Bald Eagle while I was driving my dog to the vet. It was at the intersection of Cromwell Bridge Road and Cub Hill Road, in Baltimore County, MD. Sorry I don't know the name of that little body of water, but it's South of the Loch Raven Dam, not yet to the spot marked Cowen Run. :D
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Some aviaries have bottom feeders, these are flighless bird that eats up all the dropped seed and other bits birds do not eat.
Kislanya

Post by Kislanya »

i have a solution,rent my dog she hoovers everything the birdies drop lol :lol:
yountered19

Post by yountered19 »

Hey!

Thanks for sharing the information., it's really helpful.