help with handfeeding my ringneck

Moderator: Mods

vishnuluffy

help with handfeeding my ringneck

Post by vishnuluffy »

i just bought a ringneck and am handfeeding it twice a day currently based on wat the shop fellow told me who sold me the bird. I have a few questions. Currently its about 4 or 5 weeks old i guess.not sure. have attached some pics if any of u guys know from the pics can let me know.

i usually feed at 10am than go work than come back at 9pm and feed it at 10pm . 20ml each time. Is the break in between too long? each time it sees me it keep stretching its head and trying to eat my fingers like its very hungry. and bobbing its head non stop. Im not sure if the actions is cuz its hungry or cuz its excited to see me . Please advice.

on 2 days i work morning shift so i feed it at 7 or 8 am.than i come back home at 4 pm. i feel the crop is empty but if i feed it at the evening, how about at night before i sleep? must i feed again? is the feeding enough to last till the next morning?

MissK

Re: help with handfeeding my ringneck

Post by MissK »

Reviewing Melika's post here www.indianringneck.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=799 I'd say you're not feeding enough. Her schedule seems to have feeding every 5 hours or so. I've never fed a baby bird, but off the cuff I would say feed more often! Remember you may need to set a timer and lose some sleep. Dunno if you can come home from work on lunch, but I'd try.
-MissK
vishnuluffy

Post by vishnuluffy »

MissK wrote:Reviewing Melika's post here http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=799 I'd say you're not feeding enough. Her schedule seems to have feeding every 5 hours or so. I've never fed a baby bird, but off the cuff I would say feed more often! Remember you may need to set a timer and lose some sleep. Dunno if you can come home from work on lunch, but I'd try.
i have seen similar shedules...just why i am a bit confused why the breeder told me like that to feed onli twice a day =/
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

vishnuluffy wrote:
MissK wrote:Reviewing Melika's post here http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=799 I'd say you're not feeding enough. Her schedule seems to have feeding every 5 hours or so. I've never fed a baby bird, but off the cuff I would say feed more often! Remember you may need to set a timer and lose some sleep. Dunno if you can come home from work on lunch, but I'd try.
i have seen similar shedules...just why i am a bit confused why the breeder told me like that to feed onli twice a day =/
Pet shops firstly usually don't have truly expert staff and secondly don't generally care too much about the welfare of animals they sell. If they cared about the welfare they would not be selling unweaned babies, especially to inexperienced people who work full time! Profits before pet care seems to be the motto.