YUCCA PLANTS, SAFE OR TOXIC???

Moderator: Mods

BlueandSpuggy

YUCCA PLANTS, SAFE OR TOXIC???

Post by BlueandSpuggy »

Hi, I have read on some parrot related websites that yucca is ok for parrots, foliage & bark. Problem is there are numerous varieties throughout the world. I have 3 different types, 4 plants in total. I've had some of these plants for nearly 20 years so they're quite large & perchable (is that even a word???). Anyways my new friend Blue was having a good mooch around the room when he landed on a diy perch I've erected, he instantly leaned over & began to chew on the leaves. Despite the info I have upto now I panicked & ushered him away, nothing too mental, just coaxed him away with some fruit I was eating at the time. Unfortunately I have no idea what types these yuccas are, I've had them so long. Does anyone have any info regarding yuccas & if there are any toxic strains? I guess the rule of thumb should be if in doubt move it out but it's nice to have some natural stuff for him to clamber about on.

Thanks, Duncan
sanjays mummi

Re: YUCCA PLANTS, SAFE OR TOXIC???

Post by sanjays mummi »

The best place to start is online, identify them first, Then you can search online for which of yours are toxic. That is what I would do.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Save effort - google if ANY yucca is toxic. If there's no toxic yucca, saved yourself a bundle of work. If there is toxic yucca, just compare that one to what you have.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I did quite a bit of searching online about yucca a couple years ago as I wanted to grow some to havest for the birdies. I can't find the info now, it is recommended to give birds the dried wood. Some lists have yucca sp. listed as safe. The concern is the saponins in the leaves may be harmful if ingested. I would be cautious about the leaves unless you can find solid evidence that it is safe.

Personally, I do give my birds some perches and foliage that is not listed as safe or harmful, but it is after researching the plant throughly in regards to toxicidity in other animals and watching wild parrots eating or chewing it regularly.

It is really hard to find good, detailed information on plant safety for parrots. Most list err to the side of caution, sometimes to the point of being ludicrous... Here is one that has sources referenced http://www.perchfactory.com/other_pages ... plants.htm

Parrots do have a tendency to chew whatever is in front of them. Maybe you could find some fresh browse for Blue that is definitely safe instead.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I realised after posting that link that it lists some plants as harmful which are listed safe elsewhere! :shock:

Here is another list which I'm pretty sure is ok to use (my birds are still alive at any rate) http://www.eclectusparrots.net/safeplants.html
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think we may have noted this problem before - lists get reproduced and the original source gets lost, and there are conflicts on the status of the same thing on different lists. It really makes me err on the side of recklessness, to be truthful.
-MissK