Sprouts & bacteria & questions, questions, questions

Moderator: Mods

SkyeBerry

Sprouts & bacteria & questions, questions, questions

Post by SkyeBerry »

First let me say that I do understand all the benefits of sprouts etc. I thought they were a no brainer; however. I must admit I do not sprout. Here is why - I mentioned sprouting to my avian vet who admits to being paranoid about fungus/yeast and very likely bacteria. Not surprising since she sees so many sick birds...anyway - she has a standard answer for people who want to sprout - bring your sprouts in and we will culture them - if they have no pathogenic bacteria I (the vet) will pay for the lab work - if they have pathogens, the client pays and agrees not to sprout. She says she has never paid.

Initially, I thought fine, I won't sprout. But I keep wondering, then why do so many people swear by it? I don't mean because of the increased nutrition but obviously these people would not be swearing by it if their birds were sick. So, yes there may be pathogens but is it because the numbers are too low? Is it because other nutrients in the sprouts help the bird destroy the pathogens? Kids (humans) eat dirt/soil - and it is often full YUCK - you name it and it is often in it. We know it is incorrect to try and isolate babies and infants from all bacteria - they require it to develop a good immune system! We know antibacteria soaps are not good.

Is something like this happening to the birds when they eat sprouts? Even soak seed is 'supposed' to be full of bacteria.

If anyone has some good articles covering bacteria/yeast etc and sprouting, I would appreciate the link.

Thanks.
Mary
Melika

Re: Sprouts & bacteria & questions, questions, questions

Post by Melika »

I've always loves this article http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html and always kept in mind the note "With ordinary measures of safe food handling and hygiene, sprouts will grow without the risk of fungal contamination. If this is of concern to you though, Grapefruit Seed Extract (Citricidal by Nutribiotic or Agrisept) can be used to prevent fungal contamination. To make a solution for soaking seeds and beans before sprouting, use one tablespoon of GSE per gallon of pure water. To rinse sprouts, soak them briefly in a GSE solution and drain." More info on GSE here: http://www.landofvos.com/articles/kitchen7.html and another article with a section for Sprouting Safely http://www.landofvos.com/articles/wbsprouts.html I do have a lot of faith in this woman and her knowledge, considering he background. I certainly respect her opinion and methods.

I'm with you on the idea that the good outweighs the bad. We have both beneficial and pathogenic bacteria/fungi on our skin at all times and inside our own bodies, but the important thing is making sure the good outweighs the bad- and FEEDING the good! Perhaps you remember a rather lengthy topic about the fungus aspergillus? The conversation began here at this post: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 110#p71037 The issue, when you really get down to it, is not "aspergillus is bad and we need to avoid it", it is really "aspergillus is everywhere, how do I make my parrot resistant to infection and reduce the bioload??" This is how I feel in general about bacteria and fungi.

Do we really think that the fruits and veggies (or any food) we feed our parrots does not have ANY pathogenic organisms on it?

We know they all do. And those veggies and fruits sit at room temp for hours before we remove them- sometimes they've been at room temp for days and we feed them whole. Since sprouts stay at room temp for a longer period of time, again the question becomes "how to I make my parrot's immune system stronger and how do I reduce the number of pathogens?"

But on the other hand, some people believe sprouts are bad no matter what (it's good to know both sides of an issue):
http://amazingribs.com/blog/raw_sprout_are_risky.html
http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2013/s ... ould-know/

Considering the number of sprouts served and sold commercially, I think the statistics are pretty good considering that 48% of food poisonings from 1998-2008 were from produce link to CDC. That means that we or our parrots are more likely to get food poisoning from other veggies than from sprouts. I think it's interesting that they think that the contamination could be inside of the seed already before sprouting. I thought it was a good point that small batches are more unlikely to have said contamination. And, of course, you can always use GSE.

I don't think sprouts would ever test as being free from pathogens. Relatively few things ever do. Even surgical equipment is difficult to get that clean (and stay that way) in a hospital setting.

I may not have been able to find exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
clawnz

Re: Sprouts & bacteria & questions, questions, questions

Post by clawnz »

Stunning claim.
Yes there is not much that would test clear in this world, and I am guessing that is why they have never paid out.
But is there any dangers in what they have tested for. I doubt it.
Buying sprouts maybe a different story to sprouting your own, and I can understand that.
As the sprouts you buy are past their prime as far as goodies go.
I sprout Mung Beans all the time and have never had a fail.
I think it best for anybody who wants to try sprouting understands a few basic things.
The seed, grain, or bean needs to be good quality, unadulterated and fresh. Start here and the chances are good that anybody will manage to sprout.
Temp. Well if you live in a very cold country then you may need to sprout in the bird room or hot water cupboard.
Light. Not needed.
Most other places will be able to sprout on any window sill or other location where you see them. This should mean you keep up the servicing.
I use Mung Beans as I always get close to 100% strike, and this is very important. But there are loads of others you can sprout or just serve as soak seed.
Why do I only sprout one type in one pot! Simply because they all sprout in the same number of days.
Do not mix seeds where one will sprout in 3days and another in 12days. This will cause trouble.
I take enough beans to last just a few days as I will not try and keep them. I serve from the second day (soak seed) feed third, fourth and possibly fifth. Any left after this get thrown out.
Rinse in clean potable water, soak over night, rinse, soak, rinse and drain. Do this every 6hrs. I have no problems so will sometimes go long between rinsing.
The best testing you can do is. Feel, smell, taste. If they fail any of these scrub up and start again.

Sprouting chart

When the tails are over 1/2in long throw them away they are past their nutritional best.
So you have a fresh natural unadulterated super food that is super cheap packed full of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements.
And easy on their digestive system as they are very easy for any bird, even sick ones to digest.
Yes I am passionate about great foods that are not messed around by man.