Supplements for a new mom

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

Supplements for a new mom

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

I just discovered that my breeding pair has two very young chicks in their nest. Since I have mobility issues I can't get into their cage for nest inspections so not sure exactly how old they are but I would guess at most a day or two based on a photo a helper took and from when I started hearing them.

Is there any extra veggies/fruit/supplemental feeding that the female require at this time?

Kind regards,

Wessel
Melika

Re: Supplements for a new mom

Post by Melika »

There's a lot of argument among breeders about that. Some people increase veggies and some people believe firmly in high-energy pellets. I can't give you a definitive "this is the right thing to do" answer. Sorry. :?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Wessel Gordon

Re: Supplements for a new mom

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks for the reply anyway. Melika.
rickyc

Re: Supplem

Post by rickyc »

I have bee n breeding Irn for 5 years and before breeding season starts usually around March I feed my birds all year round diet of veg seed diet with a small amount of egg food in Feb I up the egg food to quarter with veg and seed I also give a small amount of avimix supplement for extra vitamins and calcium