Ants

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

Ants

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

Since yesterday I've noticed ants in my aviary. Is there a bird-safe way for me to get rid of them?

Kind regards,

Wessel
SunniDai

Re: Ants

Post by SunniDai »

For our outdoor aviary, I sprinkle cinnamon around the base and at the bottom of the aviary. Seems to work quite well.
~Dana

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I get ants in mine also. They're at the bottom. The birds are at the top so I just ignore them. I guess it depends on the flooring you have. Mine is cage material on the bottom so bits of food stay there and eventually just fall through to the ground. I use the ants to help keep the ground clean 8)
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I would, but the little buggers climb up the wire and get into their food and water *_*
~Dana

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

compromise ... leave them something on the ground.. a piece of fruit or some peanuts..
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks for all the replies.

I haven't noticed ants on the floor as yet, but they climb up and down the frame of the cage to get to the food and water. I'm glad to report that quite a few of the pests did me the favor of committing suicide by drowning in the waterbowl, lol.

I wrote the post late last night and since then I phoned a breeder that I got one of my birds from and he suggested any form of fine powder especially what is locally known as Karbadust (active ingredient Carbaryl - carbanate) which is specifically designed for use on cats, dogs and birds so if the birds do ingest some of the powder it won't be lethal.

Thanks again.

Wessel