Housing Question

Moderator: Mods

Miss_Original

Housing Question

Post by Miss_Original »

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are about to convert an old backyard shed into a "natural" bird aviary. It will have a pond and lots of trees etc in it and we are hoping to get it looking as natural as we can.

My question is, if we don't plan on breeding our ringnecks can they live successfully in this type of aviary as a colony or we will still have fighting between any birds that do pair up? We wont be putting any breeding boxes in but I am unsure if the birds will try and breed in any trees that we have in the aviary.

I currently have 4 birds living cohesively in a smaller aviary (1 mature male, 1 mature female and 2 of unknown age/sex) but when we shift the birds over we are hoping to add to the group.

The aviary we are building will be fairly large and we obviously wont over crowd it.

Any input would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Amanda
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer.......... it sings because it has a song.
Donovan

Re: Housing Question

Post by Donovan »

That sounds really nice. How long do you think this project will take?
I hope you post pics up.

As for the fighting, i'm sure there will be minor scuffles but as long as an uninvited male can escape an angry female I would suspect that you won't have to worry about the fighting being that bad. Otherwise they should have a happy little life in there. I hope there are windows, and don't forget to let the rain come in a little or set up a sprinkler system.

Anyway, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer your question. All I can do is guess really.
MissK

Post by MissK »

More guessing here, but I would guess that if you set them up in a natural environment you should expect them to do the natural thing.
-MissK
Miss_Original

Post by Miss_Original »

Thanks for the replies.

I am assuming it will take a couple of months to get it looking the way I want it to. I want to make sure I research safe plants etc before putting anything in there.

We will be taking the entire front of the shed off and replacing it with aviary mesh so there will be plenty of sunshine and rain will be able to get through a little bit. We will also add a couple of windows just for good measure. The shed is already pretty big (bigger when we add the mesh flight area) so the birds will have lots of space.

The pond will have a solar powered filter (that the birds wont be able to get to) So it will be fresh and clean. I will be placing bush rocks around on the floor and things so Im hoping it will look amazing.

The 4 ringnecks we have are "unwanted" pets and we haven't had any issues with them at all so I am hoping if we add any others it will be the same. There is always plenty of fresh food as well as seeds and pellets and several water dishes for them. The cage they are in is plenty big for the 4 of them but I wouldn't add any more to it.
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer.......... it sings because it has a song.