hibiscus stems n leaves?

Moderator: Mods

SweetieMyBaby

hibiscus stems n leaves?

Post by SweetieMyBaby »

Hello all :)
I was wondering if hibiscus (china rose)stem is safe for my bird.It is insecticide free :) She loves its flowers..but I am not sure if the leaves n stem are safe too.
I am actually searching for some entertainment for her..she gets bored easily these days. :P
Melika

Re: hibiscus stems n leaves?

Post by Melika »

Hmmm.. the flowers are indeed edible but I haven't heard of eating the leaves and stems before. Though I know someone who made a bath to treat her skin condition with the leaves and flowers...

I will do some research.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
SweetieMyBaby

Post by SweetieMyBaby »

@melika
Thnk u for the reply :)

I found this on the net,about hibiscus.

"This Genus Includes Both Annual And Perennial Herbaceous Plants, And Woody Shrubs And Small Trees. It Is A Safe (Even Medicinal) Plant And Wood For Parrots Who Enjoy Stripping And Chewing It. Every Part Of The Plant, Including Their Leaves, Buds And Branches, Is Safe. Many Parrots Also Love Eating The Hibiscus Blossoms, Which Are Very Nutritious And Are Part Of Many Parrots' Natural Diet. It Is Important To Choose Hibiscus Wood And Flowers That Hasn't Been Sprayed (Pesticides, Insecticides, Etc.). Hibiscus Tree Branches Also Make Excellent Perches. Choose Branches Of An Appropriate Size And Shape For The Size Of Your Parrot.

The Garden Shrub Rose Of Sharon, The Vegetable Okra And The Garden Flower Hollyhock Also Belong To Mallow Or Malvaceae Family And Are Safe To Give To Parrots As Well.

The Only Toxic Member In The Whole Family Is The Cotton Plant, Which Contains A Toxin Called Gossypol And Is Not Safe For Birds."

Does this look reliable? It says that all parts are safe :D
Unable to post link as I am a new user. :(
The website is beautyofbirds n the section is safewoods
Melika

Post by Melika »

From what I can find, leaves and flowers are edible. There isn't anything toxic in stems, but I doubt anyone would eat it. Probably just chew it up/destroy.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay