largest bar spacing? - looking at cage Thurs so kinda urgent

Moderator: Mods

SkyeBerry

largest bar spacing? - looking at cage Thurs so kinda urgent

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi Everyone - I have had my IRN for 4 years. His cage is 5/8" between the bars. I would prefer to keep this size but it is difficult to find larger cages that are not 3/4" or larger - usually 1-1.5".

A pet store has gone out of business, and I will be looking at a double flight cage - vertical - each of the stacked units is 37" wide x 24" deep x 26" high. But the bar spacing is 3/4". The man measured it while I was on the phone to confirm. I will make sure to double check myself. But is 3/4" ok?

The other cage I had in mind is the same as MissK's double wide AE flight cage - each unit is 32" x 21" x 27" high. With the divider removed the bird gets 64". Bar spacing is 1/2 inches.

I did researched bar spacing on this forum prior to submitting. Some people do use 1" but I am too conservative for that. I would like to hear from anyone that has/is still using 3/4"? Any problems or concerns? Has your bird ever put his head through the bars?
Mary
MissK

Re: largest bar spacing? - looking at cage Thurs so kinda ur

Post by MissK »

I can't believe nobody responded to this thread. I half expected Molossus to get out his calipers and measure a head!

Sorry I was not there for you on this but I can only guess at it. On the one hand, the difference between 5/8 and 6/8 is only 1/8, but if it is the wrong 1/8 it could really matter. How did you decide?
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

MissK - uhh...I chose the procrastination method? Actually as much as it is a good cage set, it really is not want I need. Even if I put the IRN in the top unit, the bottom would be empty because my next largest bird is a sun conure and I think I would not be comfortable with him in a 3/4". That being said, I had a rescue green cheek conure that came with a 3/4" cage and he was fine. He had been in it over a year, plus the year with me with no problems. So...I am back to getting your cage or another of mine and joining them. I have continued to look for the larger cage like yours but all but one have had one inch bar spacing. The one that said 1/2" spacing on the picture, said 1" in the description so I think it was a mistake. I have sent off some emails to cage manufacturers and will look for responses when I am done on the forum. I'll post anything of interest.

Other concern - how long would the other unit remain empty?! Somehow all bird cages around here become occupied. :shock: :?:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

OK, so here's my thing - personally, I don't like the stacking units unless you are keeping birds who are unhappy to have company - such as Canaries. For Canaries, you want them to hear each other but not see each other. That promotes singing. If they see each other, one may frequently show respect for the other and quit singing. May. In my house they tried to cram themselves through the bars to have a go at each other from across the room, and when put closer one stopped singing. For more social birds, stacking them defeats the flock thing, imho. GLAD you didn't get the stacker.
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

I also do not like the idea the poor parrot/bird on the bottom gets to look at everyone's knees.

So that is true about canaries. I have a green singer finch who was always a good singer. I bought a crested blue and white pied Gloster canary. Another good singer. My singer does not sing nearly as much. I asked about the effect of seeing one another and I was told it was not an issue; that they sing to claim their territory and so it was a good thing. Of all the people I asked, only one person said what you said. Although I think he stated the non-singing bird was intimidated. No matter.

So: one person + MissK beats all the others. :wink: Especially when it is what I want to hear. :lol:

Have not heard back from any cage companies yet. :( Not to worry. I am not defeated that easily.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Yes, that's true. The respect shown is is the "I respect that you are in charge of this territory and you'll probably whip my tail if I fail to yield." If you simply place a visual barrier between the two singing birds in question you may see an increase in singing. It's better when they can't see each other. They'll try to outdo each other, I guess because they are still both trying to lay claim to the area (and any potential female "resources").

You're reminding me to shuffle my Canaries now! My mom's bird has been singing, but mine is not. Several reasons for this include placement of Sunshine in Remendado's area, it's previously been Winter, and Remendado is a "type" Canary, not bred for singing. Still, he would do it, some, otherwise. Sunshine's younger and bred for singing.

So, today I will shuffle the Canaries. Not what's on my list for the day, but caring for animals is *always* a pleasant respite from anything else in life.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Referencing an ollllld post: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ng+#p58899

Hane absolutely cannot fit his head through his bars, which have 1" bar spacing.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi Melika - I am glad you responded. I did not see that post but I did read one where you mentioned your cage had one inch bars so I was wondering if you had had any problems since then. I also read a couple responses where IRNs did get their heads through. And my concern would be, yes they usually get their head back okay, but it just takes once to panic. And Skye could easily have 25+ years to make that one mistake. I had a budgie panic while in a toilet paper roll. Instead of running ahead, she tried to turn around, got stuck, and likely had a heart attack. I no longer use these types of tubes, even if they are slit down the length.

As I stated to MissK, I did decide to pass on this cage simply because I do not have a bird to put in the bottom half and I am not sure I would feel comfortable putting a social bird so low.

I must admit I am not sure Skye could get his head through 1" bars. I have seen IRNs considerable smaller than Skye. So in the end, I guess once again, each bird needs to be looked at individually. I have a couple cages that were given to me and I planned to donate them but have not gotten around to it. I have not used them because they are small cages but the bars are too wide to hold a small bird. They are only useful as a sleep or travel cage for a larger bird. I will check their bar spacing and maybe put him in the cage if I find a 1" and see what it looks like.

Thanks for the input.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Mary,

I'm betting your vet has calipers. Run in and ask to borrow them a minute in a private room. If you have a nice relationship should be no problem. :D
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Do I take the bird? :lol: You realize if that is all I say they are going to be looking at me really funny. And you do remember I have a timid bird? I guess I am at the vet in case I poke his eyes out? :wink: <- then he will look like this.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Yeah, take the bird. Vet might get all "silly amateurs!" and do it for you!
-MissK